Self Driving Semi Truck Video Featuring My Son - TW_Matt
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Self Driving Semi Truck Video Featuring My Son - TW_Matt

Self Driving Semi Truck Video Featuring My Son - TW_Matt

Here is a video that was filmed last Friday in Nevada, somewhere east of Reno.

Otto

the wave of the future is here. I see ford put that system in the f150 also. I guess they must be using automatic trans in that semi. after many miles, I wonder if the driver maybe confused as to where he is when he wakes up!
    Last edited by grewen; 05-18-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Hey Grewen, that driver waking up confused as to where he was is nothing new. I can remember as a kid riding shot-gun with my dad in the days before log books were used. We hauled general freight in and then during fishing season we hauled fish back out of the Northern end of Vancouver Island over some of the craziest logging roads you have ever seen. Due to the lack of regulations the drivers just kept going till their bodies shut down and I have watched my dad drive twenty two hours straight, then a quick 45 min nap and go again. My job was to talk to him to keep him awake and let him know when the turns were coming. I would ride weekend after weekend just to get my chance behind the wheel and there were many nights he would say it was safer for me to drive then him due to fatigue. At the time this was all fun and a thrill to have contol of that truck while he crashed in the bunk, and to think I had just turned 12! Now when he and I recall those days he just shakes his head and can't believe what we got away with in those days. I am all for log books and regulations and truely believe it saves lives, but to think of a big rig with no driver at the controls scares me. Here on the Island we have wildlife everywhere and many truck have been totaled by hitting an elk or large black bear, but many quick reacting drivers have avoided these collisions and their skill behind the wheel kept the trailer behind them and on the road. Not sure driverless trucks will have the same control but I still like the old days when trucks were trucks and you had to shift the gears and man-handle those beasts through traffic and winding logging roads. Some times progress scares me!
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Your son deserves an Academy Award !!!! He was great in that video !!!!

Anyway, if you are around Google in Mountain View keep an eye out for this car. I have seen it driving about during the lunch time traffic mess and doing quite well.

Self driving car1.jpg

Honestly, I would rather go back to Model T's than forward to self-driving cars.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Cool, having your son in the video!

However the concept of "self driving" truck, scares me. I guess though, if I had a better idea of the human behind the wheel, I would probably be just as scared, but I'm an IT guy, and spend a lot of time fiddling with stuff developers and programmers screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Your son deserves an Academy Award !!!! He was great in that video !!!!
    Hahaha, that's funny Tony ! I'll pass it it on. Maybe I could be his agent?

An all day photo-shoot, two cameramen - one in the cab and one in the chopper, countless takes. All for a 1 minute, 13 second video. Matthew wasn't even expecting to be in it. I'm waiting until the uncut version comes out on video .

Cool that your son is in the video. I'm having an awfully hard time accepting these self-driving vehicles. My thought is a modern day version of a train or bus where someone else is driving. Awfully hard time I'm having.

Sort of hypocritically speaking, I love cruise control though!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Surveys of the public reveal a resistance to accepting fully autonomous vehicles. Folks feel they still want to be in the loop and capable of operating the vehicle themselves. Manufacturers attempting to accommodate this brings forth many of the problems associated with the ""hand-off" , or transition from machine to human control. Google's videos of extensive experiments with their employee volunteers reveals the high frequency of inattention at the critical transitional moment by the humans. We are all to often just not ready to rapidly leap back in the saddle with acceptable situational awareness and reaction times. Recent Road & Track magazine has an interesting and informative article about this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

The safest way for this to work, is for uniform participation on all drivers and vehicles. An interconnected link amongst all vehicles through the road, a satellite, or roadside towers - or all of the above, will ensure safety and efficiency.

I personally hate the upcoming wave of the future. It's another idea that we're not capable of functioning without technology. Also - what happens when these systems get hacked? Chaos - complete and horrific chaos!
    littletommy, MSWRC, elime and 1 others like this.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam-n-nevada View Post
    I personally hate the upcoming wave of the future. It's another idea that we're not capable of functioning without technology. Also - what happens when these systems get hacked? Chaos - complete and horrific chaos!
    This. I want to find an old pickup, with breaker point ignition just for this reason...
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links