Everybodies opinion on sinking wood fence posts?
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: Everybodies opinion on sinking wood fence posts?

Everybodies opinion on sinking wood fence posts?

Got a bunch of old corral to rebuild...use the old set and tamp method, sacrete, or another method.... steel would be nice but I am afraid it would be cost prohibitive...

I have built plenty of fence in my life...just looking for any ideas and knowledge....

Dry climate... average 9 in of precipitation a year...

GO....
    littletommy and GuzziTWTom49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flathats View Post
    Got a bunch of old corral to rebuild...use the old set and tamp method, sacrete, or another method.... steel would be nice but I am afraid it would be cost prohibitive...

I have built plenty of fence in my life...just looking for any ideas and knowledge....

GO....
    I wish I could help, best thing we could all do is get a list of methods ready. TRUMP will need it as well..
    TW-Brian and GuzziTWTom49 like this.

Build the new fence with cutting lasers spaced about 3/4 of an inch apart. If a cow happens to wander through the fence now, it is 3/4 inch steaks ready to BBQ.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Build the new fence with cutting lasers spaced about 3/4 of an inch apart. If a cow happens to wander through the fence now, it is 3/4 inch steaks ready to BBQ.
    Would trim the herd a bit for sure....these wild S Idaho/N Nevada desert cows would cull themselves out in mere seconds....

First you call Julie.

Next you pray.

Then you dig.

Seriously I would drive steel into the ground. The round hole, Sacrete and wood post method is fine but in Illinois wood rots. Where you are with that low of moisture wood will be there until Jesus comes back. So, wood is most likely good but a lot of work.
    I say steel and drive them in.
    T-Dub Ken

Current bikes:

Yamaha TW200 2013
    Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 2015
    Moto Guzzi V7 Stone 2015

Lives in St. Joseph, IL
    Friend of God
    Leader of Men
    Lover of all
    Pretty good motorcycle rider
    Doesn't brag too much
    Smiles and laughs a lot
    Loves dogs and cats too

Here in NE wood rots like crazy. I live in a pretty moist area and i also happen to have a lot of wooden fence posts in my yard. All of mine are pressure treated, they are also coated on the below grade part with foundation tar and also set in concrete. A lot of those posts are 20+ years old and still good.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Are we talking barbed wire or a stockade fence? If it's wire then locust post are the way to go as they won't rot. Get a powered post hole digger or even better on on the P.T.O. of a tractor and a fencing you will go.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Are we talking barbed wire or a stockade fence? If it's wire then locust post are the way to go as they won't rot. Get a powered post hole digger or even better on on the P.T.O. of a tractor and a fencing you will go.
    Would be post and pole or rough cut 2×12....working corrals for cattle... auger is a given since I have one...barbed won't work in working alleyways or headed up to the squeeze chute...

Check with the metal scrap yards. I just made a call to one here in NJ, lots of fencing gets turned in for scrap this time of year (homeowners putting in new fence) they sell bundles of used steel fence post used by the metric ton. It's galvanized! I'm not sure that it's strong enough for cattle though..?

Quote Originally Posted by Flathats View Post

GO....
    littletommy and GuzziTWTom49 like this.

I did a fence about 25 years ago, and others more recent. I dug the holes added some 3/4 rock in the bottom <> 1-2 inches for drain. Then I got the posts and 4 in PVC pipe.. Cut the PVC about 18 inches long, long enough to protrude out of the hole about 1 inch... Used a belt sander to shape the end of the post into the 4 in PVC... Put the post and PVC in the ground and then the sackcrete..... The fence is still there! If the post gets a bit wobbly you just drive a tapered shim down along the side of the post. The nice thing about this is on one project I needed to be able to open the fence up to get into the back yard with my truck if needed... So I made the fence sections so they fit and 2 8ft sections was removable with the removal of 16 or so deck screws, lift the sections out and remove the center post.... If the post was to rot it would be easy to dig it out using a long wood drill or sawalll with a long blade to cut the broke of section of post.

Kinda like this but I used round PVC then shaped the post to fit.

header_img.jpg

Jim
    Last edited by jtstdub; 05-24-2016 at 03:36 PM.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links