Lost hiker's message: Please call husband when my body is found..
Close

Like Tree25Likes
  • 6 Post By Rhodetrip
  • 3 Post By phelonius
  • 5 Post By Hoot Gibson
  • 4 Post By plumbstraight
  • 6 Post By Dryden-Tdub
  • 1 Post By Weebles

Thread: Lost hiker's message: Please call husband when my body is found..

Lost hiker's message: Please call husband when my body is found..

Hmmm, I had not heard about this. We've hiked and backpacked extensively in that area. Here's a view from the AT along Bigelow Ridge, overlooking Flagstaff Lake as seen at the top of your map:

While its fairly rugged through there, its not really that remote...

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Well at least her wishes were followed up on. Albiet 2 years too late.
    A person without a natural sense of direction should not be in the woods alone.
    A person like that could get lost in a city but it would not be as dangerous as there are people to ask directions of.
    Oh, and your text would probably go through.
    Phelonius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sad

However, as the article say..."she had a lousy sense of direction" ...That sez it all...nothing beats a Great Compass, and Quality GPS...however, at 66 years old...even I would not venture out in a place like that without a solid set of Self Help tools...Hell, even then I doubt if I would give it a go....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Unfortunately it was an understandable outcome given the individual and the circumstances. Not everyone has the situational awareness that many of us take for granted. I'm sure we all could propose alternate happy endings if only she had done this, or that. However the sad reality is she lacked basic outdoor survival instincts and skills. Give her credit that she did not panic.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Just a by note. Wear a watch with hands. It can give you a close proximity to south. By pointing the hour hand at the sun, half way between the hour hand and 12 0''clock is south. At least it will keep you going in a straight line. The closer to the equator the better the results. In the far north it doesn't work well as the sun goes around you, not over.
    Fred, LuvNot, Hoot Gibson and 1 others like this.

In all reality she did EXACTLY what she was supposed to do when hopelessly lost. She stayed put rather than wandering further into the unknown. I have no earthly idea how she was NOT found within 30 day's before she finally died. She was not that far off the well marked trail and I would have expected a helicopter with I.R capabilities to have spotted her. If anyone here ever gets lost in the wilderness build and maintain a fire and keep material that creates a lot of smoke handy "pine boughs work well" to throw onto the fire if you hear helicopters or planes nearby. Also, carry a safety whistle and signal mirror and use them often when lost. The sound of a whistle can, depending on terrain, carry up to a mile. Weather permitting, high ground is your friend when lost but do not leave yourself overly exposed to the elements.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    Just a by note. Wear a watch with hands. It can give you a close proximity to south. By pointing the hour hand at the sun, half way between the hour hand and 12 0''clock is south. At least it will keep you going in a straight line. The closer to the equator the better the results. In the far north it doesn't work well as the sun goes around you, not over.
    That is amazing! Will be out with watch and compass today to marvel at this.

Also this north of the Tropic of Cancer:

If you have nothing but the sun, when the sun is at its highest points in the day it is due south. Put your spine to the sun and stretch your arms out , looking straight ahead is north, west is left hand (they rhyme to remember) east is right hand.

(Tropic of Cancer bisects Mexico, lies just North of Cuba and bisects India as a reference.)
    Last edited by Weebles; 05-30-2016 at 07:26 AM. Reason: accuracy
    littletommy likes this.

Exactly. As sad as this story is there must be more to it. How did she not be found?

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    In all reality she did EXACTLY what she was supposed to do when hopelessly lost. She stayed put rather than wandering further into the unknown. I have no earthly idea how she was NOT found within 30 day's before she finally died. She was not that far off the well marked trail and I would have expected a helicopter with I.R capabilities to have spotted her. If anyone here ever gets lost in the wilderness build and maintain a fire and keep material that creates a lot of smoke handy "pine boughs work well" to throw onto the fire if you hear helicopters or planes nearby. Also, carry a safety whistle and signal mirror and use them often when lost. The sound of a whistle can, depending on terrain, carry up to a mile. Weather permitting, high ground is your friend when lost but do not leave yourself overly exposed to the elements.

Tom

Sponosred Links