• 1 Post By Xracer
  • 1 Post By Smitty Blackstone
  • 3 Post By Ski Pro 3
  • 3 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Xracer
  • 1 Post By Mattwings

Thread: Allstate Drive Wise?

Allstate Drive Wise?

Has anyone used this program? My agent claims I can save up to 30 percent on my auto policy but plugging in a tracking device seems pretty Big Brother to me.
    littletommy likes this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Very big brother.

The one I was familiar with seemed to ding you for applying the brake. It was on a friend's son's car.

I'd shop insurance companies to see if I could do the 30 percent another way.
    littletommy likes this.

I'm sure I supplement the bad drivers premiums out there. In all the years I've driven, with all the cars and motorcycles I've owned. I've never had an accident with damage enough to file a claim. 44 years of paying premiums without a single dime coming back to my pocket on car insurance. If I had taken that same amount and invested it and got the historical 10% return on the stock market, I'd have a million dollars.

There's no way some insurance company is going to put a tracker on my cars. Someone in the Obama administration, or any liberal one for that matter, will soon require trackers through the CDC, claiming auto deaths is a disease, same as they are doing with gun deaths. Lots of talk too, about using trackers for fuel taxes; tracking and taxing cars on the miles they drive, not the fuel they use. All a tracker is going to do is give them excuse to raise your rates. Heck, they will probably threaten you with devulging the tracker info if you ever decide to move to another insurance company. Imagine you drive bad, despite never having an insurance claim and the tracker info is shared with other insurance companies and now you can't get insurance anywhere for a fair price.
    The bear slayer!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Your credit score and where you live can affect your driving insurance rates almost as much as your driving habits. Consumer reports recently did an interesting expose on this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks. That's pretty much the way I was thinking. Also I've read reports where some people had problems with their cars with the tracker installed.

So they will ding me for my Rossi style braking?
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Aren't cell phones like trackers? I watch crime programs and often the bad guy is put in the vicinity of the crime because of his cell phone.

I think someday we will all be required to carry something like a cell phone that keeps track of our location to within a few feet. And if we dare leave it at home or trade it with someone else or smash it with a hammer we will be severely punished.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I have worked in the insurance industry for 25 years and I currently work with telematics companies, supplying data for intelligent routing based on risk of driving routes. I regularly attend industry events where Allstate, Progressive and others discuss this technology, how they use it and what they have found. The data logging and insurance discount related to them are still in development to a large extent. There is not much big brother, as it is looking primarily at acceleration, deceleration (braking) and other similar events. It is only taking what most cars already store in the on-board data loggers, so it is there (some of it, for some period of time) for any smart attorney to find if you get in an accident. Bottom line, the Insurance companies have determined following distance and the resulting sudden braking events are the leading indicator of loss. Most systems help train you to avoid these braking events, but no one knows how long the learned behavior of adding following distance and avoiding hard braking will last. My personal opinion is if you are a good driver in a high price state (MI,NY,NJ,CA,FL,IL) it is worthwhile to get the discount.
    Reddog likes this.

Sponosred Links