• 12 Post By admiral
  • 3 Post By littletommy
  • 3 Post By Joemama
  • 1 Post By mhomadness
  • 1 Post By JustPassinThru
  • 1 Post By T-Dub Ken

Thread: A new direction

A new direction

A year ago I thought about seeing what riding a scooter would be like. Purchased a nice little 125cc Genuine Buddy. Really fun to ride and perfect for around town. The small wheels and limited suspension made for a rough ride on anything but very smooth pavement. I really liked the quiet and the super simple operation afforded by the cvc drivetrain. Today I visited my local Honda dealer and purchased a new 2015 PCX-150. Boy what a pleasure to ride, but a good thing I still have an extra Air Hawk seat pad. Honda's seat upgrade for 2015 is still way to hard for my boney butt. Will keep the XT-225 for off road adventures but the Buddy and TW will be finding new homes. Pulled this picture off the internet.
    Honda Scooter.jpg
    Last edited by Gerry; 06-11-2016 at 11:06 PM.
    Take care my Friend.........

Sweet looking new ride. Nice to see you are still at it Mr. Gizmo. Keep on Truckin'.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

Weird how things are. Before I read this, just yesterday I lubed the wind chime you gave me. Then this post.

I'm bummed a little about you parting ways with the TW. There are so many things you've done here which you don't get acknowledged for as times gone by. I will forever remember you for your rear dual sprocket setup. You were/are a pioneer in many of the modifications people use today. You were the biggest inspiration for me for ride videos.

But, I am glad you are just making room for something else though I just can't see your new rig in the photo with a radio antenna and copper tubing wrapped around the frame hooked up a an oil cooler system. As old man said, I hope your parting with the TW is not a parting of the forum!

And we are still using the SPOT! You are a generous person. Ride on Gerry!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah brother Gerry you better stick around and if I ever make it down your way; I'd love to meet you brother.
    akalogan, SanDue and mhomadness like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

After riding with Gerry several times, I am sure that he would still be able to hold his own on a mild TW ride on his new wheels.
    Joemama
    SanDue, littletommy and mhomadness like this.

Congrats on the new Honda, looks like a great ride for "round the town"! Many ++ to that Honda.

I'm glad you still have a bike to ride with us, & I hope very much to ride along with you at least once this year. m.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    A year ago I thought about seeing what riding a scooter would be like. Purchased a nice little 125cc Genuine Buddy. Really fun to ride and perfect for around town. The small wheels and limited suspension made for a rough ride on anything but very smooth pavement. I really liked the quiet and the super simple operation afforded by the cvc drivetrain. Today I visited my local Honda dealer and purchased a new 2015 PCX-150. Boy what a pleasure to ride, but a good thing I still have an extra Air Hawk seat pad. Honda's seat upgrade for 2015 is still way to hard for my boney butt. Will keep the XT-225 for off road adventures but the Buddy and TW will be finding new homes. Pulled this picture off the internet.
    Honda Scooter.jpg
    You'll be back.

You may keep the scoot or not; but you'll be back

Here's where I went: I got fat; which is what happens with railroad engineers working road jobs, up nights, erratic sleep cycles. My back was giving me problems. And I sat on a Burgman...and loved it.

I had a 400, until I did it some damage in high-speed freeway work. Loaded with travel gear, did an 85-mph banzai run across Michigan, and then back...about 800 miles in a week. Mostly at speed.

A bearing on the centrifugal clutch went out. It went REAL bad, because I couldn't hear it sitting on top of it. The noise it was making was directed behind the body cladding.

Then, on another road trip a few months later...I don't remember the problem but as part of the repair the muffler had to come off to access the parts. Putting it back they screwed up the feedback sensor. The machine lost most of its power and started swilling gas. Another Suzi dealer and they identified the part - and replacement was two weeks away.

I didn't have two weeks. Had to be back to work. I sold it to them.

Then...bought a used Burgman 650. NICE ride; powerful...unlike the 400, this was INTENDED to be run fast. A much more sophisticated transmission. Good road manners.

But...with time, Twist-N-Go became a snooze.

When I took this Montana job, initially I had to come out here with a couple of duffle bags. Moving had to wait. Here I was, in some GREAT riding country, and my Burgman a thousand miles away.

I bought a used BMW, an R1150RT. And I rediscovered the joy of a REAL motorcycle. Helped that I'd lost weight and my back was better.

I sold the BMW, fast - after a scare with the transmission. I relearned, quickly, that with a BMW, purchase price is just a down payment. Nothing is cheap on them; and their bulletproof days are in their distant past.

I got the Burgman out here, but I sold it. Did okay - a sixty-something guy bought it. Never considered a scoot - and was impressed with the power.

But...I won't go back. I too much like sitting astride the machine. I prefer the control of the manual gearbox.

My advice, FWIW...if you can, hang onto the TW. It'll sleep peacefully for long periods; but if you sell and regret, you'll lose money buying another.
    littletommy likes this.

I bought one of these back on 2012. It was a 2013. Really nice.
    littletommy likes this.
    T-Dub Ken

Current bikes:

Yamaha TW200 2013
    Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 2015
    Moto Guzzi V7 Stone 2015

Lives in St. Joseph, IL
    Friend of God
    Leader of Men
    Lover of all
    Pretty good motorcycle rider
    Doesn't brag too much