The problem if/when Yamaha upgrades the TW
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: The problem if/when Yamaha upgrades the TW

The problem if/when Yamaha upgrades the TW

Say Yamaha finally says after 30 years we need to freshen up this unit. We are going to go with a fuel injected 300/ 400cc engine and a 6 speed trans. and beefed up suspension. What do you think would happen to the resale values of your 200? I think it wouldn't be very pretty. There would be a market for sure but how big?
    Last edited by dogonit; 06-12-2016 at 07:07 AM.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

They would have to change the frame, the brakes, tank capacity, and the engine / gearbox – whole new production line – whole new bike with a very different feel to it. They’ve taken it as far as they can with the TW225, anything else and there are market restrictions for Yamaha, (and already market restrictions on the 225).

The TW200 is a unique bike that fits in a unique “niche” – they know what they’re doing. In the UK we only get the TW125 which fits the learner market. Everyone slates it as underpowered except for city life. The TW200 has plenty of torque in third, and is more than capable as a “trail bike”.

Personally, I think that in the scenario you suggest, the price of the 200 would stay exactly where it is today, and there would be little take up for the more powerful model – unless it was subsequently discontinued and became a collectors item.

Yamaha’s attitude is that if you want a bigger bike, then buy a bigger bike – there are plenty to choose from without them compromising a design that’s been successful for 30 years …….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

It may not have a bad effect but Interesting question. I like mine because it's low tech. A bigger engine and trans will drive up the weight. The injection will drive up the cost. I looked at various new bikes recently and a couple of the places had suggestions of putting my wife on a new quad and when I said no we are looking at bikes they then said we should go to a sxs. It's because we are old. When you look at the $4,800 price vs the ability to pretty much ride it for 10 years with maybe replacing chains sprockets and minimal maintenance it is an excellent value. I wonder what the production numbers are?

Keeping the bike as is and adding a dual range transmission could hurt the old models more???

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm not worried about an upgraded TW, more likely they'll discontinue it and replace it with an entirely different bike.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Now now there is something to worry about!

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    I'm not worried about an upgraded TW, more likely they'll discontinue it and replace it with an entirely different bike.

Is is there a thread on this? Intrigued to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Yamaha IS coming out with a different model of bike....similar to the TW...but different.

Some of you know what I and a local dealer did last year with a morphing of a 2013 TW200 and a 2015 SR400.

Mother YamaMama has that bike, and the word I have heard is...they are working on a concept model to test the market acceptance, before production.

Personally, I hope they NEVER discontinue the production of the TW200. Maybe...make it a TW250...6 speed...F.I.

The TW200, as a product, may be more of a utility vehicle than a sports bike. I do not know the numbers but I see LOTS of them being used as farm bikes (very good in wet irrigated fields!). I bet over 50% of them are used in agriculture. I saw my first one in 1987 on a ranch in Idaho and their use in that area is wide spread. Here, in western Montana, it seems like every ranch as one or two.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I never thought of the dual range transmission when I was wishing a few threads back.

The TW with EFI and 250 cc would be fine.
    With the same engine, like the XT250 and it will be reliable too.
    It's a good engine, because it's based on the TW engine.
    And the TW will not be heavier with this engine.
    To upgrade the suspension would be fine too, but with some higher quality parts and not more travel.

Quote Originally Posted by macbig2k1 View Post
    The TW with EFI and 250 cc would be fine.
    With the same engine, like the XT250 and it will be reliable too.
    It's a good engine, because it's based on the TW engine.
    And the TW will not be heavier with this engine.
    To upgrade the suspension would be fine too, but with some higher quality parts and not more travel.
    You have experience with some of this as I remember your entries about increasing the cc of the current model. Why would a 300 or even 400 size engine increase the weight more than 10 or so lbs(5 kg).
    Last edited by dogonit; 06-12-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links