It was a File, Now its a knife. Sharp Bugger.
Close

Like Tree19Likes
  • 8 Post By pred
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 2 Post By MSWRC
  • 1 Post By jtomelliott49
  • 1 Post By MSWRC
  • 1 Post By MSWRC
  • 2 Post By pred
  • 1 Post By MSWRC

Thread: It was a File, Now its a knife. Sharp Bugger.

Cool It was a File, Now its a knife. Sharp Bugger.

At times I get bored at work and have some spare time to tinker,
    I keep my TW here so I can fab little parts at times,
    I was waiting for a contractor to show and could not go anywhere,
    So 5 min at a time I worked this old file with first a dry grinder then a wet stone grinder so I didnt need to harden the file,
    This bugger is about 11.5" long and 1/4" thick.
    Very sharp now that I got the chance to finsh the blade with a kitchen knife post,
    Maybe Ill wrap the handle with some rope or some wood?
    Or lexan possibly.
    Ive made some smaller ones in the past year, But this is the largest one Ive made.
    I call them
    "Shank-n-file"

Heres some pics.
    knife1.jpgknife2.jpgknife3.jpg
    Peter B
    Maybe find a place to mount it on the TW

Nice job!!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

That's cool. I tried that once. Didn't look anything as nice as yours. Mine ended up brittle as it kept breaking the point.

So, how do you go about "hardening" it?
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My brother makes knives for fun. He made me a filet knife from a big bandsaw blade. Awesome. You, pred, have done a nice job so far. If you can find some old farrier's rasps, you can make bigger knives. MSWRC, I don't think it has to be hardened, as it was a file, which is already very hard steel. Unless of course, it got overheated in process. Someone smarter can correct me if I'm wrong.
    littletommy likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Well, I got it pretty hot grinding it down to shape. I think (but don't know) that makes it brittle.
    littletommy likes this.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    I will take a closer look at that.
    thanks.
    littletommy likes this.

While you can cut the file with a torch or dry grinder,
    You need to get past any area which was heated over about 400* with the wet stone and not make heat,
    A file is brittle in its own right, It will not flex much before breaking, But it will hold an edge for a long time without sharpening,
    Older files are hardened all the way thru and they are a LOT stronger than most files made in the past 20 years, The newer files are only hardened on the outside and those are crap,
    I have a few smaller ones Ive made and they do come in handy,
    I have hammered a smaller one deep into a hunk of 4x4 without any read distress to the file,
    Its good to have something to do instead of like so many others, Staring lovingly into my smart phone!
    Ive seen some beautiful file knives for sale on Ebay, But Ide prefer to make my own as I have old files and a chipped or worn out file at a flea market is about 25c, Great for a tool kit when you don't want to worry about a $100 knife which I don't own anyway,

If I were to want to harden after working the file I would have to heat evenly to cherry or bright red and quench in a bucket of engine oil, Which I prefer not to do,
    I rough cut with a torch if needed, Grind close with big bench grinder dipping file into water several times a minute,
    Then work with the wet grinder slowly without jigs until I like what I see,
    Trick is,
    Enjoy what you do ! !
    Peter B
    littletommy and Darth like this.

If you have access to a Plasma or Laser cutting machine; it will cut a lot faster; leave less to clean up and grind; and it cuts faster leaving less weakening, hardening and brittleness of the metal being cut.

I made mine from a really old file. My kids found a box of them at a garage sale one time and the guy told them to take them. About 30 plus files of different sizes, all of which aren't much use as a file anymore. The blade I made is actually pretty "strong", as I use it now to make kindling. Just lay the blade across the wood and hammer with another piece of wood. Quite durable that way, and you are right about the edge holding. The tip though is another thing perhaps I tapered it too much. If I were to thrust it into a hard piece of wood, the way I think you are describing, and twist, it would snap.

I have a lot of woodworking tools, but not much in the way of metal working. No torches, no welder, nothing but saws and grinders.
    littletommy likes this.

Sponosred Links