to the rescue: Antartica
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By dogonit
  • 4 Post By phelonius
  • 1 Post By phelonius

Thread: to the rescue: Antartica

to the rescue: Antartica

Follow the Twin Otter's flight in a rescue attempt of a seriously ill individual at the Antarctic Research Station during the Polar Winter. No light and colder than Hell! They are probably to Tierra del Fuego or further by now. A truly heroic undertaking.
    Last edited by dogonit; 06-18-2016 at 04:04 AM.
    TWilight and JerseyJeeper like this.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

I have been tbere twice, the first time for about three months or so. It is a tough pace to have to rescue anyone. It is sort of like being on Luke Skywalkers ice planet Hoth.
    In the winter when you leave the security of your life support system, (your dwelling), you begin to die. The trick is to finish

your mission and get back before the process is complete.
    Phelonius

I spent a couple of summers at Mcmurdo. I did not ride a motorcycle but I did go snowmobiling! Are you referring to Palmer?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have been to both Palmer and McMurdo and a couple days stuck in the ice at Cape Washington. The year I was there first an Iceberg about 20 miles wide and 80 miles long, broke off and began drifting north through the Ice pack of the Ross sea. We went in behind it and up against the broken edge, a vertical wall of ice that rose over a hundred feet straight up from the sea water. The ship was maneuvering to touch the ice with the bow so I went to the bow and reached out and touched the Ice wall. This meant that up to that time I was the person aboard a ship that had gone further south than any had gone before. We were slightly more than 80 degrees south at that point. If you look at charts or a globe you will not believe it possible but because of the gap where the berg broke from we could do it. While we were there, we had dropped a device to the ocean floor that drilled down and brought up some cylindrical samples of the bottom for the scientists to examine. Yes it was quite chilly, some days about 40 below and this was in the middle of the Antarctic summer. It was a very interesting place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
    I have the greatest of respect for guys like Earnest Shackleton Who did that place with reigndeer skin parkas and other such equipment.
    littletommy likes this.
    Phelonius

Sponosred Links