• 1 Post By Color Of The Day
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 1 Post By Blueduce
  • 2 Post By Ski Pro 3
  • 2 Post By Byron

Thread: Motorcycle lane-splitting bill moves forward in California

Motorcycle lane-splitting bill moves forward in California

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

484 miles east from the geographical center of the United States
    I was hoping it was a bill to ban it. I lived out there for 10 years and I saw some bad accidents due to lane splitting. I had a guy on a bike hit my G-ride passenger side mirror at 10 miles per hour in rush hour traffic on the bay bridge. It almost knocked him off the bike.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    "Tolerance is not the same thing as acceptance, and acceptance is not the same thing as an endorsement"

Life Member VFW / Life Member NRA / WWG1-WGA

When I saw it, my first thought was; they already allow lane splitting??!! I didn't realize it wasn't law already. If done sensibly and slowly (25 mph or so) I like it. If you get stuck in 4 or 5 hours of backed up traffic in L.A., you're going to be begging to be able to do it.
    Byron likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

+1 LT, there are some contrary people out there that will choke you down. If I see a bike coming I'll move over a little.
    I'm also thankful that Color of the day and many other out of staters are so deeply conserened about the ca. Motorcycle riders safety.
    But your right LT... That news article was a real nothing burger....
    littletommy likes this.
    "Cycles is a mean toy lady" Halsy Knox

Lane splitting is fine. I'm a very cautious motorcycle rider and it's been my experience that it's much more dangerous to NOT split lanes with so many idiots with their face in their phones and not looking at the road. Getting hit from the rear in stop/go traffic is very real and with lane splitting, at least if there's an accident, I'll have some amount of control, not a sitting duck.

This law is to inform the car drivers that motorcycles are indeed allowed to ride this way and that if they hit one who is performing the maneuver in a lawful manner, they will be liable. It's an awareness thing.
    Blueduce and littletommy like this.
    The bear slayer!

I rode my Vstrom down Hwy 1 to Malibu last summer, getting into Santa Cruz mid afternoon, of course, traffic backed up, a pair of HD baggers came up behind, lane splitting, I followed them through the worst of it at about 35 mph, while traffic was almost stopped. The cars would hear those bikes, and split apart like Moses parting the Red Sea, it was great. Next day, after riding Mulholland Hwy up to the Ventura freeway heading for Glendale, dash thermometer reading 114 degrees, full riding gear on, I sat on the bike for over an hour to move 30 miles. My Vstrom is about 42 inches wide with the Givi bags, not being used to lane splitting, I stayed in traffic. Done right, with assist from the car and truck drivers, in metro areas I can sure see the advantage. On that Ventura hwy ride, small dual sports and sport bikes zipped between cars like they weren't even there, great for commuting in that area, and for every motorcyclist, it's one less car sitting in front of yours.
    Blueduce and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content

Oregon, love the climate and riding, not so much the lefty politics.

Sponosred Links