• 2 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By JustPassinThru
  • 1 Post By JustPassinThru
  • 1 Post By JohnJohn
  • 1 Post By Michael Bryce Winnick
  • 1 Post By pred

Thread: Bright LED Back-up Lights For Haul Vehicles

Bright LED Back-up Lights For Haul Vehicles

Between hitch carriers, trailers and almost backing off embankments I decided my tinted windowed haul vehicles needed more light astern. A little Amazon.com searching found a world of superbright 800+ lumen upgrades when I typed in LED then the bulb designations. Selected these seemingly quality mid-priced units shipped from USA vendors. Should be better than the multitude of rear facing under the bumper halogen fog lights I have smashed over the years. About $15 a pair.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

From the shear multitude of LED chips as well as fisheye lenses I expect these things to put out some truly significant photons.

Bulbs for Astro Van on left, Tacoma on right.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-20-2016 at 02:02 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Those are good; but you can do better.

There's a company, a local custom-parts place carries their line, that makes free-standing LED lights that'll set the brush in the ditches on fire. I have two, on the front of my little pickup...they're so bright, they make deer and bears leave the road because it's PAINFUL for them. They use 47 watts.

Those aren't good backup lights; but they have smaller-draw LEDs that would bolt to bumper or whatnot, wire right into the backup circuit or to a toggle, and provide more light than you could imagine.

If yer interested, I could get the paperwork out on the lights I had put on...same company basically. Other places sell them but not many brick-and-mortars.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Those are good; but you can do better.

There's a company, a local custom-parts place carries their line, that makes free-standing LED lights that'll set the brush in the ditches on fire. I have two, on the front of my little pickup...they're so bright, they make deer and bears leave the road because it's PAINFUL for them. They use 47 watts.

Those aren't good backup lights; but they have smaller-draw LEDs that would bolt to bumper or whatnot, wire right into the backup circuit or to a toggle, and provide more light than you could imagine.

If yer interested, I could get the paperwork out on the lights I had put on...same company basically. Other places sell them but not many brick-and-mortars.
    Link?
    littletommy likes this.

I'll test these 'lil photon torpedoes and then give some feedback.
    Previously have always added stand alone auxiliary lights with arming switches which were then triggered by the reverse gear switch, or Hi-beam switch respectively; sometimes with on-off-on either/or logic 3-way switching. Wanted to get away from vulnerability and cleanliness issues of low mounted lights on off-road vehicles.
    However as rbm says: "LINK?"
    Or just the company name 'cause if a train guy says these are bright lights then they must be really bright and worth investigating. Thanks JustPassinThru
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Link?
    6KLED.COM Off Road LED Light bars, LED Work Lights

I put these on my truck:

LED-342-2T.jpg

The short light-bar I put on my Zero as a running light, relatively low output, 14 watts draw...isn't on there. Got it cheap - must have been discontinued.

The customization shop here doesn't have these things on his webpage - most of what he sells is off the showroom floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I'll test these 'lil photon torpedoes and then give some feedback.
    Previously have always added stand alone auxiliary lights with arming switches which were then triggered by the reverse gear switch, or Hi-beam switch respectively; sometimes with on-off-on either/or logic 3-way switching. Wanted to get away from vulnerability and cleanliness issues of low mounted lights on off-road vehicles.
    However as rbm says: "LINK?"
    Or just the company name 'cause if a train guy says these are bright lights then they must be really bright and worth investigating. Thanks JustPassinThru
    6K.

Linked above.

I got the floods, as aux lights. Really...they're so hot, even with cool LED white...even on asphalt, the reflected light is a distraction. Focused spotlights might be better.

They put out 3400 lumens. That's about three times what halogen high-beams put out.

There are brighter bars, if you want to start brush fires. There's a long bar, about three feet...IIRC it puts out about three times that light. Mount to your bumper, front, back or both. Cost about $200.

I don't know if 6K makes it. If anyone's curious, I could go down to the shop and find out who the maker is and lumens.
    littletommy likes this.

I put these on the kiddos TJ in replacement of the stock fog lights, durable, cheap and bright.

Traveller 24W Round Worklight - For Life Out Here

I am seriously considering attaching a set to the rear of my motorcycle trailer and running another wire along my harness to tie into the reverse lights. I would probably just run a pigtail down from the rear lights on the TJ to the harness connector where it would meet with the other pigtail for the trailer...making it a flat 5 set-up.
    littletommy likes this.
    *WARNING Newbie Post Above

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    I am low tech. My work truck is a 1997 F-350. I put 3 1/2 inch spot lights drilled into the bumper and hit the toggle for a daytime effect. No matter how bright your back ups are, there is no substitution for a set of utility lights. LED back up lights only work so good. I need lights for when my back glass on the topper is crusted with ice-snow-road salt. When I have nice weather and have to contend with nothing other than darkness, the lights really work great. They sell for $10.00 a shot at Tractor Supply.
    littletommy likes this.

Put these 27w each on the TW, Something like $24 for the pair,
    They make lots of light,
    lightsonbike.jpg
    Ill put a set on the rear of my camper towing truck soon.,
    I put a set on the from of truck about a year ago and LOTS of salt this past winter and they are OK,
    Peter B
    littletommy likes this.

Sponosred Links