We're so smart we're stupid
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: We're so smart we're stupid

We're so smart we're stupid

I just saw a commercial for a "smart" refrigerator that has 3 cameras in it so you can see inside from anywhere in the world. I don't mind that people want something like that but how much longer will it be before you can't buy a fridge unless it has multiple cameras inside? Those of us who don't want to be "smart" will have to pay for those cameras even though we'll never use them. It' even worse with cars. I don't want a computer with a car attatched. I just want a car.
    Darth, TWilight, Hidebound and 7 others like this.

Damn straight!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Smart devices allow you connect to people at any distance away from you, while ignoring the people close to you.
    interesting twist.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Color me baffled, but why does one need to watch the inside of a refrigerator? Home science experiments eyeballing the rate at which those forgotten leftovers grow?
    Does this mean the light is still on when you close the door or are the cameras IR? Do they pan/tilt/zoom?
    Can you direct your spouse to the ketchup from afar? "No hon, more to the left...your other left.."

Yeah, I'll pass. Don't want a fridge with an ice maker either. That's what those little trays are for.
    '01 TW200, '03 Z1000, '09 KLR 650, '13 CRF250L

LoL!!

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Ditto...on the damn straight ! That is the primary reason I do not own a "so-called" smart phone. Both my wife and I.....Ph.D. degrees and above...and we both refuse to own a smart phone. When the day comes (and I am sure it will someday) that they make a "smart phone" that is smarter than I am, that is when I will buy one. Until that happens, I really dislike how socially connected all these people are today, faces IN the phones, rather than looking at one another. Dining at a restaurant, and the entire family is staring at their phones, and not talking with one another. Drivers doing more texting, than driving. People walking down a sidewalk, staring into the phones, and not watching where they are walking.

How in the world did the human race exist, and interact with one another...100 years ago ?
    I refuse to own a phone that's smarter than I am.

And most of those smartphones are smarter than their alleged "owners." It's like Skinner-Box crack for the brain - I see people sitting on curbs, frantically texting; doing it at stoplights - in the driver's seat. In stores and restaurants. It's like a compulsion!

No, thanks. I think the time is at hand when we will be REDUCING our tech use, if only because of cost, security risks, and economic retraction. I'm ready - I use my phone, ONLY as a phone.
    TWilight, wolfy and ldmccain like this.

This will work out great for Big Brother because they'll be able to look into our fridge and tax us if we have unhealthy food. And if we don't give them access we'll have to pay an even bigger privacy tax. That's what will happen with the black boxes in these new cars. We won't have to give the government and insurance companies access to them but if we don't our insurance premiums will triple.

Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    Smart devices allow you connect to people at any distance away from you, while ignoring the people close to you.
    interesting twist.
    Quoted fro posterity and with your permission, to be copied and pasted all over the world.
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    This will work out great for Big Brother because they'll be able to look into our fridge and tax us if we have unhealthy food. And if we don't give them access we'll have to pay an even bigger privacy tax. That's what will happen with the black boxes in these new cars. We won't have to give the government and insurance companies access to them but if we don't our insurance premiums will triple.
    At some point, you have to resign yourself.

We, individuals, can do nothing. It is what it is. This is where owning a TW is SMART - it lacks all that computer crap; it'll run on a lower-grade of gas if it has to. It gets high mileage if the goobermint starts rationing gasoline use.

But we are now living in a tyranny. We can no more do anything about it than the Russians could, for all the years they were locked under the Soviet system.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    If you listen very closely, you can hear all of our Freedoms being flushed down a great big toilet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links