Showers on the road.
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Showers on the road.

Showers on the road.

I retire July 1st and Ordered a 2017 Jayco Octane 161 TH and plan on doing some travels and winter in Arizona. To save water I plan on taking a shower at Pilot when I have the points.
    Hoot Gibson and JerseyJeeper like this.

This is the 2016. slow start.
    JerseyJeeper and LuvNot like this.

Showers at truck stops USED to be cheap - back twenty years ago you could get a shower for $3. Now it's ten dollars unless you buy a hundred gallons of fuel or so.

I guess it's that there just aren't enough truck stops these days - and the Eco-Forces make it hard-to-impossible to put more of them up in many areas. So the DRIVERS ONLY section is always crowed and there's generally a waiting line for the showers.

I did this extensively back 25 years ago when I traveled from Ohio to Alaska living in the back of my Datsun King Kab. There just wasn't any MONEY for motels; so I'd shower at truck stops. If there were no truck stops convenient, I'd do a sink-bath in the restroom of a Mickey Dee's...get an intact, used Large Coke cup out of the trash, and use it to wash your hair and neck.

Cheap living. It's great - when you're young.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Reddog, you don't really have to collect the "points"...to get a shower at any of the Pilot Truck stops, or...at ANY major truck stop in the USA & Canada.

You "can" do it that way...if you choose...or do it the way I do when I am on a coast to coast ride for an endurance rally, or a long distance event.

I simply pull my big street bike up into one of the car parking spots close to the door for the truck drivers entrance....take my diddy bag off the bike, lay my helmet on the bike seat, cover the bike, then walk into the truck stop, through the truckers entrance. Walk up to the service counter, ask for a "shower room". They usually ask me, "have you fueled up ?" To which I answer, "yes Ma'am I have". (which is the truth, my motorcycle is now full of fuel). 9 times out of 10 they just hand me a shower room key, a fresh towel and wash cloth, and a new bar of soap.

I guess they figure...if he walks like a trucker (bow-legged), and talks like a trucker, and smells like a trucker, dang it all, he must be a trucker.
    My conscious wouldn't let me do that.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    I believe that everyone would have to be..."conscious"....the word you used....to be able to be awake enough to take a shower.

Now, if you meant the word...conscience...you would have to "have" a conscience, for it to stop you from doing that. In my case, I did not lie to the employee. They asked me a question, and I told them the truth.

It also helps if you are used to regularly taking showers .
    Yep, that's the word I meant, thank you. It's been a long day. It would bother me if I was deceitful, but that is a personal choice. I would rather pay the regular price and feel good about myself. I would feel like I did the right thing.
    Joemama, grewen and Tirebiter like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I don't understand why you would even consider showering at a truck stop with a self contained camper like the 161. Walmart allows campers to stay overnight in there parking lots. Shower in your camper and roll out in the morning. When you get to Bel Air MD stop by and you can shower after we hit a quarry.

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    I don't understand why you would even consider showering at a truck stop with a self contained camper like the 161. Walmart allows campers to stay overnight in there parking lots. Shower in your camper and roll out in the morning. When you get to Bel Air MD stop by and you can shower after we hit a quarry.
    Top Pred is right. Truck stops are noisy...WalMarts are much quieter. You can buy a Rand McNally road atlas in Walmart that lists all of them... and then use that to plan stops. We overnight at truck stops only as a last resort...they are fine for fuel and to use the dump stations. And personally, I'd rather use my own shower than one that who knows who cleaned it?

PS...That's a nice TH! Hope you have many happy miles!

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
    I retire July 1st and Ordered a 2017 Jayco Octane 161 TH and plan on doing some travels and winter in Arizona. To save water I plan on taking a shower at Pilot when I have the points.
    After I retired, I drove/delivered Motor Home RVs for several years {6} ...my #1 place to stop, eat, shower, and sleep in the lots was Flying J{now owned by Pilot} ...back in the day they were cheap enough, even without the points, and clean....worth your while:

Route 66 #1.JPG
    TWilight, littletommy and grewen like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

If I was single{and don't get me wrong, I hope my wife outlives me by a long shot}....I would buy a nice 30 foot motorhome, a hauler for behind, and live on the road most of the year...in those 6 years I drove, I was somewhat young...53-59 after retirement, and delivered in most of the states and Canada...talk about freedom, even with the check points, I was never hassled by the feds[only on a few occasions by the assholes running the dealerships, but that is not a problem when owning one}...I got to see some great places...meet interesting people:

Enjoyed Traveling West to Vegas, Yuma, or to South Florida, most, but all of the places I visited and passed through were something most people could only dream about...and Hell I got paid, not a lot, but paid to do this and always came out a few bucks ahead, even if I stopped in Las Vegas for a few days

Somewhere in Colorado.jpgWinslow to Flagstaff.pngSunVoyager.jpgGoldCoast_2a.jpg

{1} Somewhere in Colorado
    {2} Heading down I~40 between Winslow and Flagstaff, AZ
    {3} 40 footer to Yuma
    {4} From my room at the Gold Coast after a delivery to Vegas
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 06-25-2016 at 08:13 AM.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

When my wife and me first met we loved wilderness camping away from all civilization. Always by a river or lake with the tent so we could almost always get clean by going in for a dip. We have two five gallon Solar Showers that work better than we ever could have imagined. These are black collapsible water bags with a shower head and control faucet attached. Fill them with water and set them in the sun for a few hours and you have a real nice hot shower you can hang over a tree branch and enjoy. Many times we left them in the sun too long and had to wait until the water cooled.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links