Getting in shape to get back on the bike
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Getting in shape to get back on the bike

Getting in shape to get back on the bike

I need to shed the tool shed, and get back into a shape that's not round. I am physically active at work most days but need more cardio for sure. I plan on doing more technical riding and wanted to ask whats all your go to routine (if any). About the only thing I do after work is walk the dog around the block. I plan to hit the jump rope and exercise bike more. I even quit the beers after work during the week. What do some of you riders do that helps you get into moto shape?
    I should make this a sort of blog to stay on course that way if I slip you guys can keyboard slap me to stay focused

Thanks for any tips!
    07 TW200
    3 85 BW200's

Try push aways more often.

Push away from the table!!

I was cycling to work every day and then hitting the Gym twice a week, but since I got the VStrom I have been riding it.
    Smitty Blackstone and Big6Lug like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So what is the problem? age, weight, inactivity, never been a physical type? if you were in shape at one time it will come back just like riding a bike and you will find support on here I am sure. Rusty
    Smitty Blackstone and Big6Lug like this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I would love to get back in shape. But I like food soooo much!

Willing to start walking and moving around more. Got to get the motivation though.

Not being a lazy person, it amazes me how many ways I can avoid exercise.

I do need to push away from the table more, but I do like my food. I'll be 46 this year and believe it or not, at 6-1 300lbs I still played pick up hockey and can hold my own. Even losing 15lbs I noticed a big difference.
    Just have to get rid of the gut mainly. I shed a lot of weight years ago but I was running everyday and had to eat like a rabbit. Not going that crazy again. I have some old injuries that would benefit from getting more exercise also.
    Smitty nailed it, I am an active guy who has to tinker or do something, but it's finding the motivation to just get my fat ass going.

On that note, i'm off to jog a bit! thanks guys!
    07 TW200
    3 85 BW200's

Eating is how I cut weight. Eat more good stuff, eat no bad stuff. I don't miss the bad stuff anymore.
    My grocery bill spiked when we started eating good. When the bod started getting enough nutrition the waist lines went down the portions sizes went down and the grocery bill did too. Freed up more money for oil and park plugs.
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

At my age the key to exercise is Low Impact. Running/jogging sucks but swimming and riding a mountain bike seems to work best and especially if the shape you want is for riding the TW. Swimming uses almost all the muscle groups at very low impact while riding a bicycle can be very beneficial and crosses over to the MC.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Mudd's got the right idea! As a competitive strength athlete, I can personally attest to the fact that whatever physical change you're aiming for (building muscle, losing fat, etc.) is determined by 75% diet and 25% exercise. Your diet has MUCH more of an influence on your weight loss success than your activity levels do. If you start exercising regularly but the diet stays the same, the results won't come.

So certainly try to get more moderate exercise on a regular basis, but more importantly cut back on those calories! Limiting dairy (milk and cheese), processed grain (bleached flour breads, pastas, etc.) and processed sugars will help tremendously. Best of luck!
    2012 TDub - Cycra handguards w/ LED turn signals, WR250 shorty levers, custom high fender, Tusk 30mm bar risers, Krator footpegs, SeatConcepts, Yamaha rack, integrated LED tail light, 5500 LM H4 LED headlamp, DID 428 X-ring, XT225 stainless header, DG-O exhaust, 130 main, 0.04" needle shim, slide drilled 1/16", pilot 2.25 turns out

Big plus 1 to the exercise and the bicycle riding.
    Big6Lug and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links