Robotic Automonous Pizza
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Robotic Automonous Pizza

Robotic Automonous Pizza

Any west coast folks tried Zume Pizza yet? Billed as the Amazon of pizza, imagine robotic pizza manufacturing where a 50 oven delivery vehicle makes and bakes your pizza you order on-line while delivery van drives hot and delicious cyber-pizza to you. Eventually in order to eliminate as many american jobs as possible van will be autonomous too, no driver. Isn't progress great? Personally I think we need a job explosion to accompany our population explosion.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Its interesting. I was reading an interview recently with the CEO of General Electric on the return of manufacturing to the US. He said, "because of automation, there's now only 2 hours of labor in a refrigerator. I can build them anywhere. It doesn't matter."
    Lyterx and Smitty Blackstone like this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    Its interesting. I was reading an interview recently with the CEO of General Electric on the return of manufacturing to the US. He said, "because of automation, there's now only 2 hours of labor in a refrigerator. I can build them anywhere. It doesn't matter."
    But once you've made the investment in that automated plant, that's where you'll stay. Until that 2 hours of labor costs too much. Or sales drop. Or a foreign government takes over your plant. Or... And if shareholder profit is the only driving force... Well, there you have it. The US economy in a nutshell.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

His point was that the US is now competitive, that's why they are building a new plant here. Shipping costs now outweigh the labor cost.
    Smitty Blackstone and Lyterx like this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Personally I think we need a job explosion to accompany our population explosion.
    THIS is why I "Liked" Fred's post! Where are the jobs in the USA? Looks like most are in the service industries. Service jobs require a population base that has a good manufacturing job industry to support it well. Otherwise the money that fuels the whole thing is depleted... The money that continues to drive jobs ends up coming from finite resources, such as the sale of property when a parent dies & the kids sell the property & spend the money... That money goes around, but much of it ends up going offshore for the purchase of foreign goods, or in the hands of government, or to someone else where it never returns to the flow of dollars that continue to keep employment strong & growing. This is just the way I see it, but what do I know, I'm just a codgy kimmie from the Boont region... m.
    Mel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    His point was that the US is now competitive, that's why they are building a new plant here. Shipping costs now outweigh the labor cost.
    So automation which eliminates jobs to the point where you only need 2 hours of "skilled" labor is the way we create jobs? Or that is the way a US company is competitive in a global marketplace? We are rapidly coming to a "perfect storm crossroad" (sorry for the mixed metaphors). Automation and "AI" is screaming forward, while populations are exploding, while baby boomers (where a large part of middle class wealth and traditional buying power resides) are, or will soon be, dying off (or getting Alzheimers)? Meaning they stop buying stuff! Help Mr. Wizard! I wanna get off! (to mix a couple more gems from aging American culture).

Quote Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
    So automation which eliminates jobs to the point where you only need 2 hours of "skilled" labor is the way we create jobs? Or that is the way a US company is competitive in a global marketplace? We are rapidly coming to a "perfect storm crossroad" (sorry for the mixed metaphors). Automation and "AI" is screaming forward, while populations are exploding, while baby boomers (where a large part of middle class wealth and traditional buying power resides) are, or will soon be, dying off (or getting Alzheimers)? Meaning they stop buying stuff! Help Mr. Wizard! I wanna get off! (to mix a couple more gems from aging American culture).
    Automation does NOT eliminate jobs. What it does is reduce job's for low/no skill employees. Unfortunately, trade schools that would train young people in the skills needed to maintain that automation equipment are too often shunned in favor of college degrees in fields of study that do not lead to meaningful employment.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Good point Tom. Anyone familiar with the the Mike Rowe Dirty Jobs TV show? He has a foundation that provides scholarships to trade schools as an alternative to 4 year college degrees that take graduates no where with their liberal arts or humanities degrees. After all only so many government jobs can be created with pensions and Obama-care exclusions for counselors to dissatisfied immigrants. We need real jobs with real productivity in the private sector.
    About the Foundation « Profoundly Disconnected
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Good point Tom. Anyone familiar with the the Mike Rowe Dirty Jobs TV show? He has a foundation that provides scholarships to trade schools as an alternative to 4 year college degrees that take graduates no where with their liberal arts or humanities degrees. After all only so many government jobs can be created with pensions and Obama-care exclusions for counselors to dissatisfied immigrants. We need real jobs with real productivity in the private sector.
    About the Foundation « Profoundly Disconnected
    Does the Mike Rowe foundation train pizza delivery drivers?

Pizza shops are actually a very good model for economic principles, IMHO. Think about it. Great, now I'm hungry!

Lots of well paying shovel ready jobs for those willing to learn a trade and work. Not talking minimum wage no-future pizza delivery positions that cannot compete with welfare and other government hand-outs...real careers one can be proud of.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links