Washington State Discover Pass
Close
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rainman
  • 1 Post By admiral

Thread: Washington State Discover Pass

For those of you that live in Washington, have you been keeping up on this new Discover Pass that goes into effect on July 1, 2011? The pass is 30 bucks for the year or 10 bucks a day and can only be used on one vehicle. I emailed them to ask if I would need a pass for my TW and my pickup even if I used my pickup to haul the bike to my riding area. They said, "Unfortunately, you will be required to purchase a pass for any street legal vehicle you will be using on DNR , WDFW, or State Parks land."

So I'll need a $30 pass for my truck to park, and a $30 pass to ride the TW. If you have ORV tags you will only need a Discover Pass on your vehicle you used to haul the bikes.

My next question to ask the State is: is it cheaper to buy ORV tags for the TW so I won't have to buy two passes? Or will I have to buy the pass because the TW is street legal?

Discover Pass

Anyone have additional info?
    Ken likes this.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I'm so hopping mad reading this situation Rainman, and I don't even ride in WA. Let me tiptoe so not to get to political here. Special use "passes" (imo=taxes), just burn my backside, whatever the intended use excuses. I'm all for helping out and keeping things nice (and accessible), but they need extra money for some type of improvement, ask for a donation.
    Ken likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Hey Rainman

Thought I'd pass along a little more info I recieved from the DFW, though I sent the question to the DOL? Here's their response I got the other day:

David,

Thank you for contacting the Department of Fish and Wildlife. I apologize for the delay in response, we have been working diligently with State Parks

and the Department of Natural Resources to get the information needed to address your questions. Your Discover Pass must be affixed to your motorcycle where it is visible, tied or taped. Please call customer service if you have concerns regarding it being stolen. Currently, all three agencies are reviewing this matter to see if there is a better alternative for motorcycle riders regarding how to display the Discover Pass.

• For more information please go to the Discover Pass Frequently Asked Questions at: http://discoverpass.wa.gov/faq/ OR to the Discover Pass Home Page at: http://discoverpass.wa.gov/ Information is updated weekly.

• Feel free to send questions/comments regarding any suggestions for improvements or requests for additional information to: [email protected] . Our customer’s feedback and questions are evaluated daily. The information provided by our customers is very important to us, and is used to improve our services and website. For questions or comments regarding the Discover Pass You may also contact us directly by phone at: toll-free (866) 320-9933.

v/r

Abraham Márquez

WDFW, Recreational Customer Service Center

Phone: 360-902-2464

24 Hour Customer Service Provided, 7 days a week and Holidays.

Please call for assistance with general fishing & hunting questions, rules & regulations, hunter Reports, and License purchases.

WDFW Customer Service Email: [email protected]

Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:54 AM

To: Licensing

Subject: Displaying Discover Pass on Motorcycle

Hello

The FAQ’s say a Discover Pass is required for dual sport motorcycles, but it also says to display the pass in the front windshield of any vehicle. That isn’t an option on a motorcycle without a fairing/windshield. How should they be displayed in this case? Also, do the passes glue in place or how should we keep them from blowing off while riding?

Thank you.

Also, I don't think the ORV stickers would negate the need for the Discover Pass and you don't need the ORV's if your bike is licensed. I think this will be another way for the State to get some funds via tickets!

Dave

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I'm so hopping mad reading this situation Rainman, and I don't even ride in WA. Let me tiptoe so not to get to political here. Special use "passes" (imo=taxes), just burn my backside, whatever the intended use excuses. I'm all for helping out and keeping things nice (and accessible), but they need extra money for some type of improvement, ask for a donation.

It gets me upset too because there are so many different passes and you don't know which one to use and/or buy. Theres a SnoPark pass, Forest Pass, vehicle access pass, and now the Discover Pass for example. I'm all for paying to play, but I just wish I could buy a 50 dollar park wherever you want pass and call it good. I also wish they would affix the pass to your driver's license and not your vehicle, so if your vehicle is registered and the license plate comes back and shows you've paid for your pass then you're all good.

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by lonedave View Post
    Also, I don't think the ORV stickers would negate the need for the Discover Pass and you don't need the ORV's if your bike is licensed. I think this will be another way for the State to get some funds via tickets!

Dave

Pulled this off of the Discover Pass website:

If you have an off-road only bike, your truck will need to have the Discover pass, and your bike will need an ORV tag.

In my case, I'll need a Discover Pass for my truck and one for my bike.

If ORV tags are cheaper than 30 bucks for the TW than I might just buy ORV tags, but because it is street legal, I might get in trouble because the Discover Pass is required on ALL street licensed vehicles.

1990 TW200

A "Catch-22". Capt Yossarian would be proud of Washington State.

Paraphrasing one of the many explanations: "a general critique of bureaucratic operation and reasoning, meaning a no-win situation or double bind".

Sounds like it too me, ORV sticker+dirtbike-dual purpose bike etc.... $$$ Cha Ching.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post

Sounds like it too me, ORV sticker+dirtbike-dual purpose bike etc.... $$$ Cha Ching.

Exactly. The State is trying to "fill" a budget gap.

1990 TW200

Sponosred Links