Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By phelonius
  • 3 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Tweaker
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By phelonius

Thread: modern bat trees suck.

modern bat trees suck.

First of all Japanese motorcycle manufacturers often inconsiderately put the ignition lock under your butt
    where it is out of sight , out of mind. In my absent minded case it frequently causes me to get off the bike leaving the ignition on. This often results in a dead battery. This used to be a minor inconvenience. I would use my emergency jump battery and be on my way with the running engine recharging the dead battery.
    Not any more. Battery manufacturers now build batteries that if you kill the battery by leaving the key on,
    IT IS TRUELY DEAD. The battery is not to be reclaimed even by putting bit on a charger for a day and a night.
    This is not just a suspicion. I spoke with the battery salesman today about this and he admitted it was true.
    The old lead acid batteries are a lot more forgiving of this type of sin than the modern gell cell and other new design permennently sealed batteries.
    TWilight likes this.
    Phelonius

So this could be another good reason to ditch Lead acid batteries. The new lithium batteries should have bms circuits that protect the battery from over discharge which can kill them too. I am pretty sure the Shorai and battery tender batteries are protected.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

There are also cut-offs that kill all power to the circuits when the battery capacity drops below a certain point.

They're made for jeeps, the ones I've seen. They may be too bulky to use; but the concept is out there and someone may have designed one for cycles.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I agree with always using only the key to turn bike on and off. This avoids several issues and has become an ingrained habit for me.
    Mel, Tweaker and TWilight like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

One of the first things my brother told me when we bought our bikes was to always turn it off with the key like Twilight and Fred says. When my wife took her motorcycle safety class they wanted her to use the kill switch so you know where it is in an emergency. Since our bikes don't have a kicker and I think I can remember where the kill switch is I always use the key. I also just bought a small lithium battery jump pack to carry.
    TWilight likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I now always use the "kill switch" to shut off the engine.

To help get in the habit of turning my key to the off position when using said kill switch, there have been plenty of forum members I ride with who are more than willingly reminded me to turn my key to off should I forget. Plenty of 'em! Same goes when riding alone. I'm well reminded of my key "unswitchness" habit with the numerous times I've had to repetitiously use the kick starter or push starting. Push starting is worse 'cause people can see you have a problem. Using the kick starter can mask this somewhat, but not in a TW group. They know what I did!fpalm.gif

Like an old dog, I can be taught new tricks, though I do admit "remembering" the new trick is somewhat problematic!
    TWilight likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Kill switch? What kill switch?
    I guess old habits die hard, On the old beaters of my youth the kill switch was when you pulled in the clutch and didn't blip the throttle constantly.
    Now a days, it is putting the kick stand down.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Many if not all new units have some sort of feedback control system (eg Canbus) that will keep your bat ray from completely dying. My BMW even shuts the head light down if I leave the ig on. I suspect the newer bat rays may have some sort of protection built in. I know the Shorai in my TW will act "dead" at first when sitting for over three months, only to work perfect after I kickstart. In the three years I have had it, have never charged it. Does sound like a behavioral change would be the most expedient cure. Personally anything to get away from bat ray acid is a good thing.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Great idea, just turn off the key. That's what I did before they started hiding the key under my butt on the left side. Now to do that I have to let go the clutch to do it. My drive way is on a slight angle and I stop in gear. To do that would clash the gears. The correct place for an ignition switch is where the RIGHT hand can reach it, and not hidden under your butt.
    Then there is my gripe against the battery makers who used to make good lead acid batteries that had the resiliance to be resurected by a recharger in the event of an accidental discharge.
    Now they are designed to be DEAD DEAD in the event of accidental discharge, and they cost more than twice as much to replace. Fore the battery sellers it's a win win situation.
    With the key location it is more likely to happen and the batteries are truelly dead when it does. I have had batteries last up to six years in older bikes, now it is from two months to less than two years. Fk em!
    TWilight likes this.
    Phelonius

Sponosred Links