Like Tree20Likes
  • 9 Post By TW-Brian
  • 2 Post By BkCntryCrwlr
  • 3 Post By Joemama
  • 4 Post By TW-Brian
  • 3 Post By TW-Brian

Thread: Garage Sale Vise Upgrade

Garage Sale Vise Upgrade

Any of you who have attended one of my Wrench & Rides may have had the "dis"-pleasure of using the vise pictured below which has been "temporarily" mounted on my work bench with a C clamp for the past two and a half decades.

IMG_1816.jpg

A couple of weekends ago, I stopped at a garage sale where the guy had a bunch of old rusty tools including a big ass old vise. I asked him what he wanted for the vise, and he said $5.00. I sure as heck wasn't going to give him $5.00, so I used my superior negotiating skills and was finally able to convince him to take $10.00 for it.

At the next garage sale, I found a big ass old bench grinder mounted on a unbelievably heavy stand that looked just about the right size for the vise that I had just purchased. I didn't need the grinder, but I figured that the stand was worth the $40.00 that I got the grinder/stand combo for.

Here is the grinder that I posted and sold on craigslist in a heartbeat for $50.00 (I guess I should have asked for $75.00).

IMG_1744.jpg

Here is the vise after I halfheartedly started to clean it up with a wire brush.

IMG_1750.jpg

I figured that was going to be way too much work, so I disassembled it and threw everything in a tub of white vinegar to stew for a week or so. After some satin black spray paint, I reassembled it, lubed it, and mounted in onto the humongous hunk of gravity that the grinder was on, and here is the end result - ready for some serious pounding, bending and cutting. Not a bad deal for a few gallons of vinegar and some spray paint!

IMG_1815.jpg

Funny you mention the C clamps holding your vice on the bench. I had one just like that, but only for about a year and half. About two weeks ago I finally got around to drilling and bolting it to my bench! God only knows what possessed me to do that...
    You can't see it if you're not out there living it!

'94 Rainbow Warrior - not so rainbow any more - Clarke XT350 tank, Lizrdbrth's seat mod, Beer Trap Pegs, Ricochet skid plate and more.

Going through withdrawals, sold my other two TW's, down to one....Uhggghhh! Hidden Content

Nice garage sale score Brian. I'm sure if we knew "the rest of the story" we would find out that you were paid to take the vinegar and paint off someone's hands. The TW looks like it is itching for a ride. hint hint

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Joemama View Post
    Nice garage sale score Brian. I'm sure if we knew "the rest of the story" we would find out that you were paid to take the vinegar and paint off someone's hands. The TW looks like it is itching for a ride. hint hint
    Hahaha, Joe! Nope, that's the whole story.

You're right about this TW itching for a ride. This one has not seen any love lately and is getting kind of buried in the garage. Today I went for short rides on the TW226 6-speed, the Suzi DRZ 400 and the Honda XR650L, but not the 2005 TW. I did plug in the battery tender though, so hopefully it will be good to go when needed. Can you even find it in the pic below?

IMG_1817.jpg

I did a quick Google search on this vise: Charles Parker Vise - Vise & Tool

Charles Parker Co. Meriden, CT - No. 974 1/2

This is a swivel vise with 4.5" wide jaws and 7" opening that cost about $20.00 new, weighs 76 lbs and was probably manufactured in the postwar 1940's. This guy spent a little care more refinishing his than I did.

Sponosred Links