DMV asking me to sign a false statement!!!
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Let me start by saying that I greatly appreciate this forum and the help that I have received over the years from its members (not only with regard to the TW and motorcycles in general, but with other unrelated issues as well), who have become like family to me. Perhaps I have lost my mind and am missing something, overlooking some simple minor detail that changes this all, but I do not believe that to be the case. You would think that in this day and age, and in the United States of America, nonetheless, that something as ridiculous, atrocious, frightening, and simply pathetic as this, would never happen. But, believe it or not, it has. I will NEVER, EVER produce my signature to certify a FALSE statement. Fine me, deny me rights and citizenship, and my freedom, torture me...it will NOT happen. Granted, these things are not a concern currently or with this particular issue, but it is the principle of the matter that is cause for great concern, in my opinion. Some would see what I am about to tell you as a simple inconvenience, a technicality not to be worried about, if they even notice it in the first place, likely not even having read any of the relevant text. It would be a gross understatement to say that I am outraged and view this as a VERY, VERY serious problem, one that in my mind DEMANDS accountability and CORRECTION (which, sadly, will most likely never happen)! Now, I will explain the problem itself.

I received in the mail a standard DMV renewal notice for my driver license, which expires in July of this year. On the form, my address is incorrect. The address printed on the form is my previous address. The form states that "To renew [my] license [I] [am] required to bring this completed notice and [my] license to DMV." A portion of the text just before the signature line on the bottom of the front side of the form reads as follows: "I have read and agree to all the certifications on the back of this form." A portion of the text of the fifth certification on the back of the form reads as follows: "The mailing address shown is valid, existing, and accurate. I agree to accept service of process at this mailing address..." I went to the DMV and informed the clerk of this contradiction; the address shown on the form is not valid since I do not live at that address, and therefore cannot accept service of process at that address, and that I therefore cannot sign the form. After explaining this, I politely asked if the DMV could update my address in their system and then print me a new renewal notice form showing my current residence address, so that I could honestly agree to all of the certifications and sign the form. As it is, the address shown on the form is NOT valid (regardless of whether the DMV updates my address prior to my signing of THIS form), and as such I will not present my signature certifying that it IS valid! The clerk told me that the DMV would not print me a new form, period, and that I could update my address with the DMV at that time, and then "simply" sign the renewal notice to renew my license.

I have considered simply hand writing a note on the front of the form. This is what I have come up with:

**NOTE: I, [my first and last name] ([my signature...]_______________), certify that the following handwritten address, written on this form by me on [the date on which the note is written], replaces "the mailing address shown" referred to by the fifth certification on the reverse side of this form (my signature below, on the bottom of this form, which certifies that "I have read and agree to all certifications on the back of this form" has been made only after taking this note into account): [my current, valid, existing, accurate residence address].

What do you think? Will this legally change the nature of my signature in connection with the certifications on the other side of the form? If I have a notary sign the form as well, as a witness to the note and my signature? I suppose these are questions for a lawyer, but I thought I would run it by here first to see what you people think. I also do not wish to spend the money and time for a legal consultation. Call me stupid, a whiner, whatever you want (if you don't agree with me); I've heard it before. Any positive input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

File a change of address, then file for renewal.

The DMV has been so criminal for so long that they assume we're all just like them.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    The [s]DMV[/s] government has been so criminal for so long that they assume we're all just like them.
    FTFY

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    FTFY

TY.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

KJ, sorry I can't help you with this but it sounds like you have been mysteriously transported to the UK and your DMV is now called the DVLA.

Us UK citizens are held accountable for our DVLA's mistakes and fined for any slight irregularity or oversight on their part. It's just a revenue raiser for the government.

Send your letter to the local paper where your D.M.V. is located. This may start a s*it storm but I feel it's someting that has to be done. People need to know whats going on not just on the national level but also on the state and local as well. Also your post was very well written and that counts for alot when others read it. Good Luck to you and give them HELL!!

Seems to me you might have been supposed to fill a change of address when you moved, and didn't. Therefore, the FUBAR is of your own doing. Every state in which I have been licensed requires drivers to inform the state when they change addresses. Of course, nobody ever does, and this is what happens. In Tennessee. In California.

Yup. Looks like you screwed the pooch. I'm guessing the fines for not registering your whereabouts with Big Brother are extreme in California. You might even get some time in the hooch with Carlos, the gay prison guard.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Seems to me you might have been supposed to fill a change of address when you moved, and didn't. Therefore, the FUBAR is of your own doing. Every state in which I have been licensed requires drivers to inform the state when they change addresses. Of course, nobody ever does, and this is what happens. In Tennessee. In California.

Yup. Looks like you screwed the pooch. I'm guessing the fines for not registering your whereabouts with Big Brother are extreme in California. You might even get some time in the hooch with Carlos, the gay prison guard.

I did file a change of address when I moved. The DMV still sent this and my jury summons to the old address, and clearly did not update it in their system. Whether I had filed the change of address or not DOES NOT change the fact that there is a serious problem with the certification that the address printed on the form is valid and accurate. If what is printed on the form is not valid, people should not be asked to certify that it is valid by signing the form, no matter the circumstances surrounding the inaccuracy.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Xracer: Good idea. I just might do this.

Someone really needs to rewrite the certification to take old or incorrect addresses printed on the forms into account. Something like "The mailing address shown on this form is current, valid and accurate, or if it is not, has already been replaced in the DMV system by the correct address." Anyway it seems that my note will have to suffice to get my license renewed. If they don't like the note I write on the form, they can print me a new form
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Do they still have the cute liddle signs advising you that if you pizz them off by pointing out the absurdity of either them personally or the DMV systen in general, you risk being arrested for making a terrorist threat?

I heard they were gunna take them down, cuz no one gave a rip.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links