Those Pesky Airplanes Overhead
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Those Pesky Airplanes Overhead

Those Pesky Airplanes Overhead

Well it is Reno Air Races time again so many of the competing classes form up prior to the race in next valley over and follow a smoke trailed chase plane over my house in to the pylon race course.
    Tomorrow the Mrs and I are joining some 175,000 others to watch the world championship finals from some nice grandstand seats.. There will be Blue Angels, Bi-planes, sport jets, Raptor stealth fighters, a jet car, sky-divers as typical air show fare but I want to see this years Unlimited Gold race. Other classes with finals tomorrow are the Fomula One, Jets, T-6, Sport and Bi-Plane.
    Wife is anxious to see the Blue Angels perform. I like crawling around the static displays too, where else can a civilian sit in the cockpit of various de-classified military aircraft?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

A day late and a dollar short...that's my story as I struggle to grab camera in time to only capture the guide plane's smoke trail after leading a group of five competitors in formation to the pylon coarse.
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Fred, I'm in the mtns with limited internet access...

Is Hoot in the competition again?

Thanks.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I believe so. (Robert "Hoot" Gibson won last years Unlimited Gold in his Stregga P-51 @ 489.893 mph.) Strega-P-51D-20-NT-Mustang-AAF-44-13105-2.jpg

Spectators will see six classes of planes including:

• Unlimited Class – Stock or modified WWII fighters with the P-51 Mustangs, F-8F Bearcats and Hawker Sea Fury being flown most often. The Unlimited Class flies in speeds exceeding 500 miles per hour.
    • Jet ClassAero Vodochody L-39 “Albatros”jets, non-after-burning jet with less than 15 degrees of wing sweep. The Jet Class planes fly at racing speeds in excess of 500 miles per hour.
    • Sport Class – Super Sport and Sport classes consist of kit-built aircrafts powered by a reciprocating engine with displacements of 650 cubic inches or fewer.
    • T-6 Class – One of three different types World War II trainers: AT-6, Harvard’s, or SNJ’s. The racers who compete in this class on a 4.990-mile race course create some of the tightest competition seen at the National Championship Air Races.
    • Formula One – A minimum dry empty weight of 500 pounds, non-retractable landing gear, a minimum wing area of 66 square feet, a fixed-pitch propeller constructed of either wood or composite materials and a 100 HP 200 cubic-inch Continental engine. The Formula 1 class has several races across the country throughout the year, with Reno serving as the site for their National Championship and their biggest purse. At Reno, the race course distance covers 3.1068 miles.
    • Bi-Plane Class – Biplanes must have a minimum dry weight of 500 pounds, at least 30 percent of the required 75-square-foot wing area must be contained in the smaller of the two wings, non-retractable landing gear, a fixed pitch propeller, and the largest engine permitted is the 360-cubic-inch, 180 HP Lycoming engine.

Notable pilots this year include Robert “Hoot” Gibson in Strega and Steve Hinton in Voodoo, in a culmination of a years-long rivalry with wins from both planes for first and second place.
    Notable military performers this year include the F-16 Viper Demo/Heritage Flight and USAFA Wings of Blue Jump Team. Notable civilian performers this year include the Breitling Jet Team, Tora Tora Tora, David Martin, Red Eagles, Falcon Demo, and B-25 Fly-by
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred; 09-17-2016 at 09:58 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Pete Zaccagnino sure is recognizable in this de Havilland Vampire?0921_Reno_5.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 09-17-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Thanks, Fred.

Don't know they handle, but sure like the looks of those twin tail aircraft.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

My favorite twin boom has always been the P-38 Lightning. Wish more had been salvaged.
    3a9cb365f704d00516f1c58fc453229f.jpgP-38_Lightning_carried_by_two_DUKWs_0751.jpg

Back in the day there were some interesting pods one could hang beneath the wings. Just remember to de-activate the drop tank circuit breaker before going for a ride.F-5-casevac-3.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

My favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    My favorite twin boom has always been the P-38 Lightning. Wish more had been salvaged.
    3a9cb365f704d00516f1c58fc453229f.jpgP-38_Lightning_carried_by_two_DUKWs_0751.jpg

Back in the day there were some interesting pods one could hang beneath the wings. Just remember to de-activate the drop tank circuit breaker before going for a ride.F-5-casevac-3.jpg
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

The only thing cooler than a motorcycle is an aircraft!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I've heard folks say that riding a bike is about the closest thing there is to flying a airplane. I can see that. The pilots among us could tell us for sure. When I was growing up, I wanted to be a military pilot. Maybe that's why I love riding bikes so much and always have...

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    The only thing cooler than a motorcycle is an aircraft!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links