Zundapp
Close

Thread: Zundapp

I was outside CVS waiting on my wife and one of these pulled up in the next parking lot. At first I thought it was a Korean bike but then I Looked at the name more closely and it had umlauts over the U so i figured it was German. Pretty cool little bike for only 50 CC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxfksiVG9Y&NR=1

Water cooled? Zundapp is back?

Zundapp only really went away for a couple years in the 80's. A Chinese company bought them out and made some smaller stuff up until the 90's. Nowadays they make Honda clones I think, kinda like how Lifan and Zongshen do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Is it a brand new remake it retro style? Very nice.
    We're in 'Bat Country' now....

Nope. They were water cooled in the '70's.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

When I was a boy I lived in Germany for several years (my Father was in the British Forces) and Zundapps were the the bike of choice for all the teenagers.

Kreidler was another little bike that enjoyed great success of the time.

I feel old all of a sudden.

Zundapp and Kreidler were cutting edge. Zundapp's larger bikes were some of the most mechanically and visually interesting creations in motorcycling.

It's sad that small displacement racing never caught on here the way it did in Europe, or Kreidler would probably have been a household word here as well.

You guys are lucky. I've been wanting to build a small drag (sprint) bike and unless I want to be relegated to bracket racing there's really not much sanctioned activity for small bikes here.

Land speed racing is about the only outlet for the small stuff here. I'm within spitting distance of El Mirage, but there are only a few meets a year and with all the money being thrown at even 50cc records it's hard to play with the big boys. Then again, I did just marry a hundred pound crash monkey.....

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Zundapp and Kreidler were cutting edge. Zundapp's larger bikes were some of the most mechanically and visually interesting creations in motorcycling.

It's sad that small displacement racing never caught on here the way it did in Europe, or Kreidler would probably have been a household word here as well.

You guys are lucky. I've been wanting to build a small drag (sprint) bike and unless I want to be relegated to bracket racing there's really not much sanctioned activity for small bikes here.

Land speed racing is about the only outlet for the small stuff here. I'm within spitting distance of El Mirage, but there are only a few meets a year and with all the money being thrown at even 50cc records it's hard to play with the big boys. Then again, I did just marry a hundred pound crash monkey.....

If we had a road race circuit close by that held open track days I would get myself one of these

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...0mito%2097.htm

as I am very light and quite short I know it would be much more fun than a Fireblade or Gixxer. Not to mention Ducati 916 looks, over 30BHP and razor sharp handling.

I think you would enjoy a book called Stealing Speed by Mat Oxley. It's about the development of the small German two smoke stink wheels and Ernst Degler's defection to Suzuki.

Perhaps you could put it on your Christmas list.

Sorry I've gone off topic.

Wow cool bike, I love the 2 stroke sound.

We had several 50cc Zuendapps as well as Hercules during the ´70th & early ´80th. The best we´d ever had was a tuned up KS 50 Supersport with a 5 gearbox, polished overflow canals, optimized transmission and maximized carb. Max speed was around 112 klicks on the old dead ending Autobahn very close to the east german border at the former US Army Outpost Point Romeo. Normally on Sundays we went up there to adjust and race, and always we´d fun with the German border cops and their US collegues. Great time, but gone.

Zuendapps nowadays are collectors items. Count them around € 3000 - € 5000 depending on status and usability.

Sponosred Links