Honda ATC engine in a TW?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Curiousity more than anything, we'll say this is "for offroad use only".

How many people have considered putting something like an ATC250R or ATC200X engine in their TW?

I'm not asking who has done it, but just who has considered it. If you have pictures, I'll be happy to clap and shake your hand.

Just some way off topic pondering

The ATC250R engine appears to have a fairly outboard countershaft, which is one of the big issues of an engine swap on a TW to begin with. I'm not sure what the transmission ratios are, but I think an ATC250R is claimed to have a ~70mph top speed, and weighs in not much different than a TW. Some gearing tricks and the fun of a 2stroke, I think this has potential for some great amusement. I also think the ATC250R in its stock form is over the 20HP mark....

Thoughts? Dreams? I know a lot of people want to put an engine 5 times this size in the tiny TW frame, but lets be realistic: a smaller engine is more practical.. is this one?
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

I have. The X is one one of the few viable candidates as long as it isn't one of the automatic, pull start versions. The R oughta run like stink.

Do it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

One can put a hemi on a roller skate with enough investment. A pipey 2-stroke isn't my cup of tea, but if it floats your Rokon, go for it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

For an offroad-only, pointless "because I can" gigglemachine or dune blaster I'd put an open class 2-smoke in one in a heartbeat.

On the street something like that would ride right through its own brakes and a whole bunch of other things. Unwise, but it would be fun til the ambulance came.

A buddy of mine built an RD400 three wheeler for the dunes back in the day. Given the available tires and suspension of the day it was for the most part unridable, but damn, when everything went just right it would take the coroner a month to wipe the smile off yer face.

Two strokes are generally light and compact enough compared to a four stroke that I wouldn't be as concerned about output shaft length. I'd just scoot the thing as far to the left as required and make some mounts.

Mild or wild, finding a home for the expansion chamber and altering it to fit would probably be more involved than fitting the engine.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

On that note, how about something even cheaper and easier to come by : a blaster motor?

Also perhaps a little less dangerous (and therefor probably proportionately less fun, but fewer pants-cleanings needed).

I won't argue that a 250R is more motor than the TW could ever use safely..

The biggest oddity that I remember, most of these quad or trike engines: doesn't the kickstarter go forward (clockwise) instead of backward (counterclockwise) on quite a few of them?

qwerty, re: hemi-skate: don't worry about me too much, I'm a dreamer with too many projects already, and waaaaay too few $$$ for a 250R motor
    --

I put a gas V8 out of a Ford F900 in a Karman Ghia. 530cid, if memory serves. No hood, had to trim the fenders to clear the valve covers. Looked like something out of a cartoon. Wasn't fast, but would do a burnout forever.

I'd bypass the whole trike motor swap idea and go for something more common. Older YZ's and their ilk would be easier to come by. This could even be somewhat practical on the street with the right choice of motor. But not many recent 2 strokes have much available in the charging system department, and swapping old into new isn't PC in some jurisdictions.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    I'd bypass the whole trike motor swap idea and go for something more common. Older YZ's and their ilk would be easier to come by. This could even be somewhat practical on the street with the right choice of motor. But not many recent 2 strokes have much available in the charging system department, and swapping old into new isn't PC in some jurisdictions.
    If you're just looking for a 250 or so, maybe the best solution is a remachined TW countershaft and a TT-R of XT 6-speed in TW cases with a stroke, bore, headwork, cam, and carb.

I think Jontow is just "reaching" for a way to get my tdub going so that we can take off on a camping trip

Coincidentally, he has an ATC200 in pieces in the shop, and I have a rarely-used (non registerable) blaster in my shed...
    ITCB

The ATC200 in the shop is probably a poor choice: its a 200ES, but has a pull-start backup. Probably pretty unhandy on a bike: think soft ground with the kickstand down, you pull it and it sinks to the stand pivot and lands on your legs (and hell, just 'cause we're in the situation, lets say it actually starts, too.)

The 200X came to mind because most/all of them were kickstart backup (or primary?)

My biggest concern with any of these motors is that their electrical systems aren't designed to do anything useful on a bike with so many lights. If its a kickstart only motor, certainly wouldn't be up to the task of charging a battery properly.

Now, that said, NY has some pretty relaxed standards on motorcycle modification. It still has to pass inspection, but it isn't [yet] an emissions thing, just safety. Who knows what crap you'd get from your insurance company if you did decide to put an ATC250R on the bike and actually destroyed someone's property, though (and I'm with previous posters: an ATC250R motor WILL destroy someones property, probably with your head/neck)
    --

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links