today I payed euro tax
Close

today I payed euro tax

So I drive a 2006 BMW E61 AKA 530xi Wagon. I love this car! I own it because of its practicality and the experience that it provides while driving it not because its a bmw. I wanted a wagon with AWD and I have a thing for straight 6 motors and the rest is history. Any how the time came to change the oil. No problem I say so I pop the hood to check the air filter and for any other little tid bits I may need for this job. AAAAnd the hood comes back down on me. So add gas struts to the list. could use a little power steering fluid so add some CHF11S to the list. howbout a little of that fancy blue coolant so on the list it goes. You also need a special tool to remove the oil filer housing, but I have that one already I suppose. Air filter and oil filter added to the list.....

So for the record
    -hood struts
    -oil
    -oil filter
    -air filter
    -coolant
    -ps fluid

Now onto the job at hand. you have to pull a cover off the under shield to get to the oil drain plug, but the car is too low so you have to raise it up. Also I hate how this thing doesnt have a dip stick so you measure the oil and run it till the computer reads the height for you (who thought that was a good idea). Not to mention the voodoo you have to perform to reset the oil change interval.

Bottom line....... no regrets I'd buy another one tomorrow.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Welcome to owning a BMW. It seems to be just about old enough where the maintaining vehicle to using vehicle ratio is starting to rise. Eventually you will need to fix something every time you drive the thing.

Someone once told me that BMW's (bikes) went bad after they stopped painting them all black. I am an old airhead fan!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I don't know much about the cars, but from behind the parts and service counters, I've never found the bikes to be the paragons of Teutonic engineering that they're represented to be. Too many strange glitches, and obvious (in retrospect) design flaws, requiring some pretty strange 'fixes' from the factory. Just my 2 wheel experience though. A friend of mine is Parts Mgr at a BMW car dealership, and he loves his 3 series.

well I can say with certainty that the n52 engine is a well proven power plant. just a little 3.0 straight 6, but it makes descent power, gets good milage, and is pretty reliable. It is one complicated machine however. intake runners that change shape for torque for starters. it also is magnesium and most of its bolt aluminum and not reusable, but thats the price to pay for a wagon with 50:50 weight distribution. I can also say that the e60/61 chassis has proven to be pretty good too. lots of them out there with over 200k now and they still go well. Some day you pay the price for all the features and creature comforts, but thats the same with all vehicles of their type. All in all I think its a good car and dont expect it to be trouble free nor do I expect any machine to be. Even the little dub requires work to keep it on the road.
    225 6 speed complete!
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

BMW = Bring more wallet.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

I bought a 99 Z-3 for my wife which we no longer have. It was her favorite car ever. Very fun to drive. However that car had a cloud over it. It got hit in the door in a parking lot 2 weeks after we got it. It was supposed to be CPO but had diff problems with less than 35k got it fixed. Around 80k it started running funny. Turned our to be bad orings in the Vanos valve. A know defect BMW did nothing about. Someone on the Z forum made up a kit with web instructions on how to repair it for @ $100tl the viton o ring kit was $60. $1100 job at the dealer for a replacement $500valve that will go bad @ 80k. Around that mileage I needed to replace a bunch of hoses and values for the emissions system. It was actually pretty easy to work on when you checked it out. The parts were pricey though. That motor was the bomb very flat torque and strong for 3.0L . A ton of fun to drive.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

im going to do the vanos seals soon. maybe this winter. doesnt look hard at all. I did a complete cooling system. easy to do and not bad price wise from the right sources, but not free. radiator was leaking and the rest was for peace of mind.
    225 6 speed complete!

The vanos job wasn't too bad you had to remove the valve cover and spark coils. The extra cost over the $60 o ring kit was a new valve gasket. The car ran like new never burned any oil.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Sponosred Links