A Morning with the Saw
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: A Morning with the Saw

A Morning with the Saw

Sawed up a 18" dia. 7 1/2' long Maple log this morning. Ended up with some 1" boards and 5, 2" thick beauties that are hard to find locally. Need to think of a project to build.....when they are dry in a few years.

DSC00070.JPG

DSC00071.JPG

DSC00072.JPG

DSC00075.JPG
    Last edited by scotti158; 10-15-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

That's pretty impressive work!

Neat set-up. You pull the saw to the wood?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Neat set-up. You pull the saw to the wood?
    I've got a rope and pulley system that is run by a crank that pulls the saw through the log. If you look at the top pic, you can see the crank on the left side. Return is manual, roll saw to other end of track. I have an ATV winch that raises or lowers the saw for board thickness adjustment.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

When I saw the first photo what came to mine is some kind of Fred Flintstone ejection seat runway track!

I wish I had the time, knowledge, and skill to do this kind of stuff. This is so cool!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Using a saw, I was surprised at how clean a cut it makes. Looks like a bandsaw went down it. I built one that rotates to cut vertical cuts and then rotates to horzontal to take several boards off at a time. I love to see what folks come up with to make lumber for projects.

Love your carriage system.

I must admit. I'm quite jealous. I wanted to buy or build a saw mill a few years ago and decided it wasnt worth it for the small amount I would use it. You can make some pretty neat slabs with a little mill like that. Ill provide a few pics just for fun. I really like metal work and combining the two seems to be my thing.

slabs cut from a beam removed from a local warehouse built around 1900 you can see a table frame in the right back ground
    Furniture by dolphaxel, on Flickr
    I learned from a local builder about using epoxy to fill imperfections and make the surface smooth. I like the way knots look and I think the epoxy has a neat effect. So I ran the boards through the planer after milling and put masking tape on the bottom over the various holes. The epoxy will run all the way through.
    once im done with the epoxy I remove the tape and finish sand the entire board. I like the way oils look so I just finish them with danish oil. I know these tops will suffer some abuse over the years, but I like the patina that creates. the knot in this photo is solid, yet you can see through it like glass.
    here is a hall way table that I made am am fairly happy with. the steel work and powder coat came out pretty well.
    coffee table and sofa table (5') from another set. the glass under shelf is unobtrusive and very useful

Im currently working on a couple more pieces and hope to make many more. That one beam has provided 5 pieces of furniture and I have some smaller pieces for future stuff. I also know where there are about 100 more of those beams so I better get to work!

I hope that walnut finds a great project that you can enjoy for years to come!
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Very very nice work. It's amazing how much talent is out there.

Maybe you should have gotten some of those planks and replaced Littletommy's floors..

My woodworking skill involves cutting the logs into 18" lengths and sending them into the stove. I did just finish a shed in which I'm going to setup a little wood carving bench. I'd like to try my hand at wood carving this winter.
    Hidden Content see ya!

Bill

haha I wish he would have!! Do you know those clowns just finished late Sunday. After they left, I found out they broke my toilet which had to be replaced, but is still not working right due to another problem ( I am flushing it with a bucket of water from the tub) and then I found out I had no TV...they drilled two screws through the cable!!! Sheeeees But I like it, it's a whole lot better than the floor that was in this 100+ year old house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
    Very very nice work. It's amazing how much talent is out there.

Maybe you should have gotten some of those planks and replaced Littletommy's floors..

My woodworking skill involves cutting the logs into 18" lengths and sending them into the stove. I did just finish a shed in which I'm going to setup a little wood carving bench. I'd like to try my hand at wood carving this winter.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

You will need a schnitzelbank. It is an old German vise for wood carving.
    Phelonius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links