Any two-wheeled hand cannon hunters here?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Anyone hunt with the longer barreled handguns (Contenders, Encores, big S&W's, Casull, etc.) from their TW or other 2-wheeler and if so what's your choice of carry method on the bike, and why?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Can't help you as I don't have a pistol permit, but hunting season must be closing in because the gun threads are popping up

All I can contribute is that the TW200 is the best thing ever to sneak up on wild animals. In 1000 miles I had more wildlife encounters than from a year of walking in the woods. Must be they make a soothing noise or something
    ITCB

We get a lot of lazy, half-blind, overgunned city hunters up here.

The TW is the ideal insertion tool short of a horse or mule because it's quiet and you can get around the truck hunters and quads onto singletrack and better territory from which to start walking.

Unfortunately it lacks horse radar, which is the most reliable gamespotting method on earth. But at least it doesn't eat when it's parked.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My wife's horses are too dumb to go hunting. Can't even shoot the .22 near the house without them getting spooked. Much prefer the "temperment" of my internal combustion horse
    ITCB

Quote Originally Posted by operose View Post
    My wife's horses are too dumb to go hunting. Can't even shoot the .22 near the house without them getting spooked. Much prefer the "temperment" of my internal combustion horse

I guess I can hijack my own thread. We have a saying in my former profession:

You can shoot off of ANY horse.

Once.

If you expect him to remain in the same county as you after the first shot you need to put the time in well in advance. lol.

Admiral and others will prolly back me up on their advantages when it comes to spotting critters. If you're in tune with one he'll even tell you where what kind, long before you see it yourself.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have a Freedom Arms in .454 Casull, but the Para Ordinance .14-45 is much more pleasant to shoot. Deer get just as dead either way. Our farm is overrun with deer. I've seen herds of 100 or more. The TWRA management agent claims 70+ deer per square mile for our joint management area of about 15,500 acres, roughly 20 square miles. That's 1400 woods rats that need killing. Add in the refugee deer from the public hunting lands bordering us, and that deer density can double or triple near the edges. It's nothing to watch deer go by at the average rate of 1 per minute or so when conditions are good.

One boundary of our property is a dredge ditch. Across the ditch is public hunting. From the ditch to the hills, which are standing timber, is 1/2 to 3/4 mile and rowcropped. There are a half dozen brushy creeks running from the timber on the hills to the dredge ditch. The public hunting area looks like an orange grove early in the gun seasons. Deer start bailing out of the public land, across the ditch, and along the creeks as hunters start moving to their stands well before legal shooting light. Things quiet down for a bit at sun-up, but even in archery seasons the sound of wheelers begins about an hour after sun-up. By 3 hours after sun-up, lots of people wandering the public land. Consequently, the brushy creeks become venison shooting galleries. You won't see much in the way of nice bucks, but our limit is 3 does. Per day. Bow season starts September 24th. Last day of hunting is January 8th.

Since my hunting is for the purpose of reducing crop predation, I target the young does because they have the greatest reproductive potential. We are supposed to kill 600-650 per year to keep the deer population stable, more if we want to reduce the deer population. Any blind up in the timber and downwind of one of the creeks will provide 80-100 potential shots per day. I've put down 3 deer in 3 minutes some days. Once, firing through a hole in some brush, I downed 3 deer as fast as I could reload the crossbow. It was windy enough the deer couldn't hear or smell me. Range was about 40 feet.

EDIT: I carry the 14-45s in a cross-draw. If I take the crossbow, recurve, or a long gun, over my shoulder with a sling. It's nothing unusual around here to see 10-year olds wandering about with a long gun during hunting season. A friend of mine was in Afghanistan last season and his 12-year old daughter would ride her bike over to my house every day she wasn't in school, at 4:00AM, with a sporterized AK47 slung across her shoulder. Nobody ever bothered her, even in the middle of the night.

Lol. If you get a 40 foot shot at a mulie you'd better check his pulse first. 300+ yards is the norm here unless you've had the luxury of preseason patterning in the backcountry.

We only have two kinds of terrain when it comes to deer, bear, turkey, etc. here and those are straight up, or straight down, within an elevation range between 4,000 and 10,000 ft. Not the most target rich environment, and with those city boys clogging the lower slopes you'll earn your burger.

As of an hour ago my usual access point for deer has started burning at a rate of 500 acres an hour and they've already called in the DC10's. Good for me, bad for cityfolk on a time budget. Stuff changes in a heartbeat and this tragedy-turned-bonus can go all to heck with one freak snowstorm.

I should stick to birds, or take up fishing. lol.

Hip carry's not real smart with a 14 incher, so I'm assuming crossdraw with some sort of waist tiedown to keep the 5 pounds from beating a hole in your chest. Never really carried one at ready on two wheels.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Lizrdbrth, you are correct sir. Nothin better than horse radar (ears) to spot somthing. When those ears perk up, they see something or think they see somthing. Then I perk up. Sometimes they see woolybugers, but most often the see or sense something we can't. We humans are blind as a bat so-to-speak when compared to our equine friends.

Unless said animals are trained, (and it don't always work either), one shouldn't try to shoot from or near a horse/mule as they tend to make a scene. Have a couple of family members who tried it and regretted it (broken leg, arm). Hell, I'd probably jump too if someone took a shot when I wasn't expecting it.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

jim
    Have a CCW, carry a 911 Kimber in a crossbreed holster, game illegal aliens much more fun to hunt then animals
    Join Oathkeepes.org

Because Home Land Security Begins @ Home: BPAUX.org

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and liberals

I will be tough but qwerty I will make the sacrifice of many weekends to come help you out with your deer problem! LOL

Maybe even ride too.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links