Never Change the Oil?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Never Change the Oil?

Never Change the Oil?

A friend of the family wanted me to service her push mower for her. Sure, I can do that. I'll change the oil and sharpen the blade, clean the air filter, and it will be all set for next spring. Couldn't find a drain plug, so I looked up the manual online and it says, "no oil changes needed for life"!? Here is a LINK, see for yourself. It must not last long with that philosophy!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Still have to add.

it's probably the same as today's appliances. they last 10 years and then go for recycle
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would argue you could do that with any lawn mower. I'd say you could do that for quite some time before any apparent consequence. But most mechanically inclined people know the truth- you don't not change the oil in any engine. Old becomes contaminated with blowback from combustion, as well as metal filings from both engine break in and normal wear and tear.

If you've ever seen oil coming out of propane fueled vehicles during an oil change, it's pretty darn clean. There's still blowback and metal contaminants, but not carbon from combustion (or at least not much of it). Doesn't mean it all shouldn't be changed.

The only thing special about the Briggs & Stratton EXi series is that Briggs & Stratton sells the engine as special.

Design an engine where the oil is contained in the oil filter after shutdown and by changing the filter you change the oil, and turn in the filter to a recycling center. That I might buy.

I would be forced to stuff a suction hose down the fill tube and suction the old oil out before adding all new oil. Oil is cheap compared to engines. This mower IMO is a throw away when something does break. I have a Troybilt rototiller with a B&S engine that is around 38 years old. It runs like a charm after I rebuild the simple carb ever few years and change the oil often. Starts on one pull every year and is just a great engine.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Use it till the warranty expires then it blows up and you buy a new one. Wow what a great concept.

I've fooled around with a lot of b&s in lawn tractors over the last 10 years and from what I've seen is that most people don't even check the oil, let alone change it. I think briggs knows that and knows the owner will blow it up because there is no oil in it and that will be the life of the motor. I've rescued a few lawn tractors that have been kicked to the curb because the rod was hanging out the side of the engine
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Yep, oil is good for the life of the engine. The life of the engine is over when it seizes up or throws a rod because of dirty or low oil.
    These engines probably do not have rod or wrist pin bearings at all. Maybe not even main bearings. Just metal to metal until they wear out.
    They are not rebuildable, the factory probably does not even sell parts. Just a throw away product.
    Phelonius

I have a Walmart push mower with a Honda engine. Same thing, no drain plug. I tip it up on its wheels with the fill cap off to drain oil, then re fill. What Phelonius said. Life of the mower is when it seizes up or just quits working.
    Funny though, my dad didn't worry about dirty oil as long as it had viscosity. Glad I didn't carry that tradition on.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    I've fooled around with a lot of b&s in lawn tractors over the last 10 years and from what I've seen is that most people don't even check the oil, let alone change it. I think briggs knows that and knows the owner will blow it up because there is no oil in it and that will be the life of the motor. I've rescued a few lawn tractors that have been kicked to the curb because the rod was hanging out the side of the engine
    I was talking to a Sears salesman about this fact. He said Briggs did a study and found most owners do little or nothing to maintain their products and the no oil changes ever was a good selling point. Makes me wonder how long it will be until auto manufactures get on the idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links