"Free College" Where Does That Come From?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: "Free College" Where Does That Come From?

"Free College" Where Does That Come From?

I guess I got my college for free. I joined the US Army and they paid for like five years of tuition. I had to kick in for room and board. Got a part time job. Seems like I was getting $332.00 a month as long as I carried 12 credits or more.

How's this new free college work for people who don't serve in the Armed Forces????
    Lyterx and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2005 Husqvarna 55R21HV
    1995 Kitchen Aid KSM90WW
    1989 Husqvarna 50, 300 Yr Anniversary Edition.

Unsure. I completed an Associates in Computer Networking w/ post 9/11 GI Bill and am going back to school for a Bachelors starting in December (Western Governor's University for IT Security). The post 9/11 GI Bill is really nice. Much better than the old one.

Free college comes right out of the pockets of working slugs like you and me!

When I got discharged and started going to college under my GI Bill benefits I was working full time in the NY Prison system as a guard on the 3-11 shift. Each morning I went to my classes and had to sit in them with convicts from the prison who were getting that Free College under the College Release program. Guards would drive them to the college each day and drop them off to spend the day in classes and pick them up later in the day to go back to prison. That program ended abruptly once they started realizing these convicts were committing crimes while out for the day at school.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
    How's this new free college work for people who don't serve in the Armed Forces????
    Unless professors have agreed to work for free, textbook publishers have agreed to free books, utilities have agreed to provide free electricity and water to our universities, as well as support staff working for free because all their own personal debts have been forgiven, such as mortgages and rents...unless all that happens it won't be free. Nothing is free. As military, you paid dearly for your education and taxpayers owe you that debt. But for the general public to be able to waltz in and get a four year college degree for nothing...that part's a myth because the taxpayers will certainly have to pay.

Military service is well worthy, but simply being able to fog a mirror is not. My humble opinion.

Well we had a discussion earlier and one reply was that colleges are like businesses and get money from companies and others for research. That perhaps they could charge more for the research and I guess that would pay for everybody's tuition, books and room and board.

It doesn't seem like it would work to me. Some people believe tat the government has unlimited resources, that they can print money, or increase taxes more. They are trying to discredit a Congress man and a Senator in my area, who are against free college tuition. Hell I would be for free college tuition but I just don't see the free part.

What am I missing????
    2005 Husqvarna 55R21HV
    1995 Kitchen Aid KSM90WW

Everyone knows it comes from China. In my opinion college isn't for everyone... or really that many people. There is no sense in going to college and getting a useless degree (there are many out there) only to be in debt at the end with no prospect of a job. Technical education is much more important to me and I wish the counselors at my high school would have discussed that option, but the last year and a half of HS was only college college college, you need to go or you won't get a job, everyone goes to college that's how you know you can get a job and be successful, you need to decide your major, what do you want to do for the rest of your life, you can always go back and get another degree, technical school won't have a job waiting on you, why would anyone want to be a mechanic, carpenter, HVAC technician, or any other sort of technician, I think I made that point. College should not be free because everyone should not go to college. educational inflation is a problem, and I DON'T mean people are getting smarter and that's a problem, I mean that people aren't any smarter for going to college, it's a business and the actual education is a fairly low priority. It has come to the point of having to have a degree to wait tables LITERALLY, I know people who have business management degrees, philosophy(bull crap) degrees, and other useless degrees that do wait tables. and on the other hand I know technicians that have no degree and a tech education that are doing what they love and making great money doing it, those people also have skills, they know how to do things and doing things seems to help REAL education, they are much more intelligent than most college educated people I meet.

So why do we need free college? We don't. (I am in college btw pursuing civil engineering) If you go to college, I believe you need to study something relevant and when doing so should have a job plan. Why? Because you would be able to pay off your debt to the college. I also believe that technical education needs to come back to our high schools and be encouraged because that is the best way to figure out what you want, why not be a receptionist or a welder, or a carpenter or mechanic for a few years after high school to put things into perspective? And if you love it, great, and if you don't, go to college for something that can get you ahead and where you want to be. And I can say Philosophy or Music will not do that. I stared as a music major After a year of that, I realized that it was a pointless endeavor and only creating debt, so I quit and started roofing and framing, paid off my debt, and am now going back to school for real and getting a real education.

Sorry for the rant and I hope I wasn't too redundant, I just wanted to try to make the point.
    "suck, squeeze, bang, blow"

I agree with your post for the most part, Tallahasseetw.

Philosophy degrees and such as that can be a great lead in to a Graduate or Doctoral level which needs very good critical thinking skills, particularly parsing convoluted arguments (i.e., Law, etc.). For the most part, most people do not benefit from college when one looks at the ROI for a lot of soft degrees. There used to be a time when a man could provide for his family by working his way up through a company, not needing a degree. Honestly, I would trace this fascination with "college" back to the ww2 generation who, like myself, flooded the market with degrees due to the GI Bill.

Also, I don't hold my entire college experience thus far in much esteem. I am medically retired from the Army and between my retirement and the post 9/11 GI Bill $, through some frugal budgeting, I was able to get through all of my Associates without working. I busted my butt and got a 3.95GPA, but school was my only focus. My hat really goes off to the folks who stayed with me in the classes while focusing on a job, school, family, etc. I'll finally get to experience that with my pursuit of the BS in IT Security. However, it will still be unorthodox as Western Governor's University follows an at-own-pace concept with only one class at a time. Should allow me to blow through the degree as I only have 48 credits left to complete.

But the idea of not everyone going to college means we need to realize not everyone needs to go to all of high school as traditionally done. I would prefer that if you don't pass entrance exams to 11th grade, you're off to trade school. And really, it might even be better to have such that if you don't pass a certain level to go to 9th grade, you come out of "high school" with 4 years of trade school and being at a Journeyman's level in something.

Throwing money at failure is just stupid.
    Last edited by CS1983; 11-02-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Got my acronyms mixed up

CS, I agree with you. and there are many ways to skin a cat, and there are plenty of problems with the system because public education systems has turned into capitalist education systems. So So many problems... Standardized testing, no child left behind (just all of the rest held back) and many other things. I could go on all day. And I do agree with you that those degrees hold merit for higher education, but one would have to have a plan of higher education with a job prospect at the other end to pursue it in the first place, I hope that made sense, kinda what I was alluding to in my first post but I don't think i got totally there.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    "suck, squeeze, bang, blow"

Trying to get this across to my 6yo.

No free lunch.

Someone's payin, and wanting something in return.

As far as I'm concered, the only 2 things in this here world that are free are hair and fingernails.

And even then, it isn't always free.

-

Ya know the difference between a good haircut and a bad one?

-

A week

Skooter and jtomelliott49 like this.

My daughter was a straight "A" student all through grade and high school. In Michigan they used to have a program where you could prepay your children's tuition from the day they were born. We were in the process of purchasing a house as we had just moved and added into the mortgage another $5000 at the time for four years of tuition at any Michigan University institution. What an investment that was. She was two years old at the time.

Well when she graduated high school she decided to take up Women's Fashion Design. "No shit" says I. I bit my friggin tongue right in half.... About a year into this field of study I suggested that she seek a summer job, an internship, with someone with the same degree, to see what she could expect for career prospects. Searching through the college she found one. The person headed the Women's Apparel Department at Macy's. I had to get up and drive her to be at work at 3:30 AM every morning so she could stock shelves and dress mannequins in the window displays.

I could see the vision of what a glorious and fun filled career this was going to be was starting to blur. One night, long after my tongue had healed, I asked her why don't she at least consider something else. She replied to me, "Dad, You always said do something I like doing, Something that interests me and is fun."

I said, "I know. I should have taken up beer drinking and motorcycle riding when I went to college. BUT YOU KNOW, THEY DIDN'T OFFER ANY PROGRAMS IN BEER DRINKING AND MOTORCYCLE RIDING. ....SO I TOOK UP ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING SO I COULD AFFORD BEER AND MOTORCYCLES, ...AND YOUR TUITION TOO!!!

Well she was crying, mother was crying, I felt like a friggin heal....

A month later she announced she was switching majors, ....going to be a doctor.... "No shit" says I.

She's in her third year of residency, $200,000 in debt, in spite of me picking up her grad school tuition. She's an ophthalmologist, AND BY GOD DON"T CALL HER AN OPTOMETRIST!

She'll pay that 200k off in two years once she's ready to start her practice.
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 11-02-2016 at 11:12 PM.
    2005 Husqvarna 55R21HV
    1995 Kitchen Aid KSM90WW

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links