TW riders are naturals on tractors
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In response to comments by BigTorque and Wrenchpuller, here is a start of a tractor thread. If TWs are like tractors, its possible that many of us have a tractor in our background. I'll post a photo of the tractor that my dad bought when I was nine or ten years old, because the other tractor we had for me to drive had a clutch that was too far away for me to use. The new tractor, an Oliver 55 had the clutch directly below the drivers seat so all I had to do was stand up to disengage the clutch. Child labor laws were pretty loose in Illinois at the time. I probably had 1000s of hours of driving time before I was 15 and eligible for a drivers permit. But hey, I had a car at 13 so, who need a **** permit? Its hard to believe I was 9 so I may be off a year or two.

Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Here's what I work with now:

I lost all my family photos when my brother sank my boat, so no pics. I grew up driving a 8N Ford that ran on ethanol. My grandfather bought the tractor in the late 1930s and converted it to ethanol because he had corn and sugarcane but couldn't afford gas.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Grew up with an old allis-chalmers and then dad bought a Farmall C w/ narrow front end. Had tons of fun with those old tractors and drove the Farmall well before a car or truck.

Current bain of my existance is a john deere 210c 4wd loader/backhoe. Abused to death and back by the previous owner and purchased by my mother-in-law. Now I am trying to clear a lot and build a 1/2mile driveway, and as my brother says, the tractor is part of the Army Reserves: "Good for one weekend of work per month"
    ITCB

I have 2 Fords, a 2000 that came my way for $100 and a 4000 diesel that was $1500. Neither looks worth anything, but they both do what I need done once jump started.

Best thing I can tell you. It was a Ford with steel wheels. I remember how those cleats shook the heck out of you on a hard pack clay road.

Not sure if this qualifies as a real tractor story, but here goes.

I started riding motorcycles on one of those little mini-bikes with a go cart style engine and gas tank similar to this one.

I had a bad habit of giving it gas and brake at the same time, so I burned up the centrifugal clutch in short order. The one I had was so old that parts weren't available, so my Dad took the deck off of a lawn mower tractor and that became my new "bike". I rode (drove) that thing through all kinds of places that it was never intended to go. I ran into fences, went through tunnels under the interstate, across cow pastures, down to creeks, you name it and I went there. I put so many miles on it the drivetrain (IIRC, it was some kind of sealed chain drive) finally gave up.

Now that I think of it, that "tractor" kind of reminds me of my TW. Not fast and not flashy, but it allowed me to get from point A to point B and have fun doing it.

I don't have a picture of that one, because that was like 100 years ago, but here is a picture of my current lawn mower tractor.

I also had access to a riding mower without a deck for a couple years, a 1955 Cub Lo-Boy. More of a lowered tractor than a riding mower. It had steering brakes so the open differential wasn't much of a problem in mud. If memory serves, it had 9 horsepower. It did a good job towing my sailboat back and forth to the river.

I grew up with a Farmall Super M, an old CO_OP tractor and several newer diesel fords. The Super M and co-op have been sold . I now have a 1953 Farmall cub with a 60" mower deck and several other implements. I sure wish the Super M and co-op had not been sold after my Great Grandfather passed away...

Many miles on a 60's era jd 3020 cultivating beans in my youth. Now I'm suck on just three acres, can only justify a 20 hp 4110.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links