Polaris Sportmans 700
Close

I am servicing my Polaris sportsman 700 and have a issue. Wondering if any of you gear heads had any advice. Everything works great but the engine will not shut off after you turn the key to the off position. No lights but motor will still run and go. Any Advice????

Is it EFI? Which means it probably has an ECM/ECU to go along with it. To kill the engine, it's usually a matter of grounding out a CDI wire, but the ECM or other relays are in the circuit as well (to protect it from theft). I've heard the key switches lose their ability to make contact when the key is turned (the internal electrical contacts wear out or get overly corroded), it's an option to try. Otherwise, make sure the key switch has a good ground to it. Get a manual and wiring diagrams and see where you can follow the problem. You'll need a multimeter. I've seen the EFI's have diagnostic plug-ins available that could reveal codes within the ECM/ECU.

Does it shut off with the kill switch?
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pmtg View Post
    Is it EFI? Which means it probably has an ECM/ECU to go along with it. To kill the engine, it's usually a matter of grounding out a CDI wire, but the ECM or other relays are in the circuit as well (to protect it from theft). I've heard the key switches lose their ability to make contact when the key is turned (the internal electrical contacts wear out or get overly corroded), it's an option to try. Otherwise, make sure the key switch has a good ground to it. Get a manual and wiring diagrams and see where you can follow the problem. You'll need a multimeter. I've seen the EFI's have diagnostic plug-ins available that could reveal codes within the ECM/ECU.

Does it shut off with the kill switch?

Thanks for the excelent reply and yes it will shut off at the kill switch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWBARR View Post
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Quote Originally Posted by TWBARR View Post
    Opps, hit the wrong button. When you turn key switch off try wiggling key and moving it back and forth each direction lightly to check for bad connection.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Quote Originally Posted by importmech View Post
    Opps, hit the wrong button. When you turn key switch off try wiggling key and moving it back and forth each direction lightly to check for bad connection.

Just for an update...finally got the quad back together and rode around a while. Went to shut it off still ran, giggled the key and it shut off...tried again and had to keep giggling the key. Still isn't as fun as the dub

"Giggling the key" too funny... I think you mean jiggling. I imagined a key laughing like a little girl
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

One time I lost my key. I tried googling it but couldn't find it.

You guys should have just been there it was quite hilarious. Well I know now not to google it if I lose it instead I'll BING it....

Sponosred Links