When can I ride again? Surgery?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: When can I ride again? Surgery?

When can I ride again? Surgery?

I'm not sure if y'all remember my fox encounter, https://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topi...ombie-fox.html.
    Well on the 15th I finally had shoulder surgery, rotator cuff repair. It ended up being more extensive than he or I thought. Some of it was just the basic trimming of old cartilage scaring from me not being very nice to myself over the years. The fox however really messed things up. Had to have some muscle repair-stitching, tendons trimmed and pinned with 4 anchors, bursa drained. I may be a little off on what all he said as I was still groggy in post-op.

Before surgery he said I would start PT within 1-10 days of surgery, when I asked about PT in Post-op, he only told me we would talk about it in 2 weeks, when I come in to get my staples out.

Anybody else on here have this much work done, and if so how long before you were back on the trail.

P.S Percocet sucks. Percocet, Benadryl and beer = better, but still sucks
    2001 TW200
    1999 DR350SE
    2002 Sportster 1200
    Suzuki Ozark 250 (Broke)
    Rokon RT140 (in a basket)
    Belarus AS250 tractor

Hope you have a speedy recovery bro!!
    jtomelliott49 and Jon62602 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I just read your initial post about the attack. Holy Crap!
    Heal quickly

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rivershot View Post
    I'm not sure if y'all remember my fox encounter, https://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topi...ombie-fox.html.
    Well on the 15th I finally had shoulder surgery, rotator cuff repair. It ended up being more extensive than he or I thought. Some of it was just the basic trimming of old cartilage scaring from me not being very nice to myself over the years. The fox however really messed things up. Had to have some muscle repair-stitching, tendons trimmed and pinned with 4 anchors, bursa drained. I may be a little off on what all he said as I was still groggy in post-op.

Before surgery he said I would start PT within 1-10 days of surgery, when I asked about PT in Post-op, he only told me we would talk about it in 2 weeks, when I come in to get my staples out.

Anybody else on here have this much work done, and if so how long before you were back on the trail.

P.S Percocet sucks. Percocet, Benadryl and beer = better, but still sucks

Well, well, well fellow shoulder surgery member.

Surgery in November and fully recovered at end of June.

Last year day before Thanksgiving I had shoulder surgery. Mine was very similar to yours, sew here, sew there, scrap arthritis, floating collar bone, yadda yadda.

Doc said I should keep shoulder immobilized for first 30 days. Absolutely no moving it. You'll be able to move it after a couple weeks but resist the temptation. Of course, if your doc starts you on pt that's different. My doc said not pt for 30 days.

Started pt first week of January. Ended first of March. PT Doc was highly impressed as I progressed much faster than anyone he had every seen. I had too, Moab was in mid march. PT Doc said recovery is up to the individual. If they are motivated they will try hard to "get'er done"! There was people in pt for shoulder surgery who were there before I got there and still there when I was done. Up to you!

I rode Moab with no problems though I was admittedly weaker on my surgery side but no pain. Did not affect my riding and I rode some tough trails. Little ache at the end of the day but not pain per se'.

I took it easy after Moab, no logging or shot put throwing and towards the end of June I was fully healed.

Almost 1 year later and it's like nothing had ever been wrong.

This is the short story.

Darn Foxes, hope you recover.

P.S. Mine was caused by a hikers dog who came at our mules and spooked them when we were trail riding up in the mountains. Between my out of control mule and the tree, I stuck the landing. Just not on my feet! I don't think I bounced upon impact with mother earth. Pile of potatoes I was. Once Mrs. Admiral retrieved my mule, it was a long ride back to camp with a bouncy hurting shoulder.

Recover well Rivershot!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

The PT is mostly just to give you the full range (or close) of movement. After that, it depends how fast your body heals, which is different for all of us.

I’m no doctor, but I’ve been through enough to give you some “direction” on this ….

While it’s OK to rotate the socket to let the wound heal with the maximum amount of movement, you don’t want any “jolts” while that’s going on. Let it settle down first. You’ll know when you’re overdoing it when the injured area starts to feel hot – this is a symptom of internal tissue damage. I’m normally in favour of the “no pain, no gain” routine, but in your case this can mean one step forwards, and two backwards – and I don’t need to tell you that if they have to go back in a second time, there’s going to be two pissed off people – you and the surgeon.

Staples and muscles: I had lung surgery a while back, and to their credit, the cutters did a pretty good job. Discharged from hospital within 48 hours (I heal fast). However, the muscles in the back they went through to get at the lung started to complain, and I was off work for a couple of months. Couldn’t stand up for more than 30 mins before it got so bad I had to lie down. Ended up on Morphine (strange stuff).

I remember being told by the consultant that some people make a 98% recovery, some people fare less well – and I suspect you’re going to be told the same. In my case, the lung’s fine, but the muscles took a bit longer (fine now).

So, in answer to your question – “how long is a piece of string” ?

Keep up the PT, and keep it moving. The rest is up to an agreement between your mind and your body. If you give it a chance it will heal, but push it too hard and it just takes longer. Bone takes up to 8 weeks before you can push things – muscles are more complicated.

You’ll know when you’re ready ….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    I
    So, in answer to your question – “how long is a piece of string” ?

You’ll know when you’re ready ….
    How long is a piece of string? Way too funny! Appropriate, though. I'm gonna have to use that line!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for the advice and well wishes. As for the string, it is as long as 5-6 trips for PT. That's as all I have left this year on our new O-Care system. Then I get to start over, can't afford that, so I need to pay attention and learn/make myself do it on my own. I heal fast on the outside but, slower than most on the inside. I guess my thick skin is only in my head, and I have always had problems letting other do things for me. I will try to do better this time and have given my wife permission (not that it matters) to beat me anywhere else if I fail to listen.

Now I just need to figure out how to re-torq. a base gasket, rebuild a TM33 carb, rebuild a weber 32/36 carb and a few other odds and ends with 1 arm.????? Gotta stay busy!
    2001 TW200
    1999 DR350SE
    2002 Sportster 1200
    Suzuki Ozark 250 (Broke)
    Belarus AS250 tractor

Damn, Rivershot.....I somehow missed this post when you first posted. I hope you are doing okay, and on the road to recovery. I have foxes living in the neighborhood, and haven't heard of "rabid" foxes. I will need to be on the lookout! Best wishes on speedy recovery, and luck with your projects.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

How long is a piece of string ? --- It is exactly the twice the distance as from the middle to one end -- Hope that settles that -- Scotsman

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
    How long is a piece of string ? --- It is exactly the twice the distance as from the middle to one end -- Hope that settles that -- Scotsman
    I always herd "if it was only a little longer, it…."
    Purple, jtomelliott49 and SanDue like this.
    2001 TW200
    1999 DR350SE
    2002 Sportster 1200
    Suzuki Ozark 250 (Broke)
    Belarus AS250 tractor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links