I Woke Up This Morning to this Great News....
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: I Woke Up This Morning to this Great News....

I Woke Up This Morning to this Great News....

Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro dies at age 90 | Fox News

Now if Ohio State pounds Michigan for the 5th straight year {and 13th in the last 15) the Day will be a complete success....

Roast in Hell Castro....and take more than a few American Progressive Marxists with you.....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Hey - I thought you liked cigars
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Hey - I thought you liked cigars
    Cubans are overrated and over priced
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    Say what you want, but Clinton knew how to sit back and enjoy a cigar.

Cigar and Monica junk.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Quote Originally Posted by jtomelliott49 View Post
    Cigar and Monica junk.
    Okay but with Gennifer Flowers it was "Close but no cigar".
    Phelonius

Phelonius......hahahahaha I love that.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Say what you will about Castro but he was a smart guy with political savvy to go along with his high IQ. It is better to understand one's enemies' capabilities and intentions than to dismiss them out of hand. A certain anti-capitlist dogma was required by Castro to maintain and support his pro-communist power base. Logically this was focused on the United States as externalizing one's problems is better than addressing domestic short-comings, just good politics."We must all sacrifice to fight the Great Satan". Sound familiar? Of course like all communist leaders he didn't live the simple collective lifestyle...Some pigs are more equal than others. Interestingly enough Castro belied the old notion that leaders of successful revolutions are often the first to be stood against the wall following victory.
    Now I am not pro Castro or communism at all, had a good friend whose father never came home from the Bay of Pigs invasion. Just being pragmatic.
    Hopefully a lessening of diplomatic tensions will result as Cuba has been accepting a lot of aid from Russia last few years ( witness massive build-up of Manzanilla port facilities, etc) and there are reports of Cuban military "advisors" in Syria operating Russian tanks, etc. Maybe Cuba can play both sides of the fence accepting US aid also as "Russia has now courted several other authoritarian governments in Latin America that comprise the so-called Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America (ALBA), a bloc of nations formed by former Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to oppose U.S. policies in the region."
    Last edited by Fred; 11-26-2016 at 02:53 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Let us not forget how Castro came to power. He rebelled against Batista, a brutal tyrant.
    Note this from the wicked pedia
    Fulgencio Batista Zaldívar (Spanish: [fulˈxensjo βaˈtista i salˈdiβar]; January 16, 1901 – August 6, 1973), more commonly known as Fulgencio Batista, was the elected President of Cuba from 1940 to 1944, and dictator from 1952 to 1959, before being overthrown during the Cuban Revolution. Fulgencio Batista initially rose to power as part of the 1933 Revolt of the Sergeants that overthrew the authoritarian rule of Gerardo Machado. Batista then appointed himself chief of the armed forces, with the rank of colonel, and effectively controlled the five-member Presidency. He maintained this control through a string of puppet presidents until 1940, when he was himself elected President of Cuba on a populist platform.[1][2] He then instated the 1940 Constitution of Cuba, considered progressive for its time,[3] and served until 1944. After finishing his term he lived in the United States, returning to Cuba to run for president in 1952. Facing certain electoral defeat, he led a military coup that preempted the election.
    Back in power, Batista suspended the 1940 Constitution and revoked most political liberties, including the right to strike. He then aligned with the wealthiest landowners who owned the largest sugar plantations, and presided over a stagnating economy that widened the gap between rich and poor Cubans.[4] Batista's increasingly corrupt and repressive government then began to systematically profit from the exploitation of Cuba's commercial interests, by negotiating lucrative relationships with the American Mafia, who controlled the drug, gambling, and prostitution businesses in Havana, and with large US-based multinationals who were awarded lucrative contracts.[4][5] To quell the growing discontent amongst the populace—which was subsequently displayed through frequent student riotsand demonstrations—Batista established tighter censorship of the media, while also utilizing his Bureau for the Repression of Communist Activities to carry out wide-scale violence, torture and public executions; ultimately killing anywhere from hundreds to 20,000 people.[6][7][8] For several years until 1959, the Batista government received financial, military, and logistical support from the United States.[9]
    After he won his revolution, Castro asked the U.S. for support, believing that we would support a country that like us had thrown off a dictator. The people in power in the US did not like that he had thrown out the mafia
    and other corrupt persons who had supported Batistas regime. He then asked the Soviet Union for help and they welcomed him with open arms.
    We, The U.S., created the problem that Castro became. Why do we not learn from our errors?
    Castro wanted to be an ally of the US but we snubbed him hoping that without our support his rule would be short lived.
    Rather short sighted I would say.
    I had no love for what Castro became, but I remember that it was we who made him that way by giving him no other choice.
    Last edited by phelonius; 11-26-2016 at 01:25 PM.
    Phelonius

Did Fidel ride motorcycles? I know his bud Ernesto did until our Country killed him.
    Irrespective of his politics, Castro managed to save his country from the ravages of American Interests, mostly in the form of United Fruit Company , US govt and yes Organized Crime. The majority of Cuban people had a rough time but faired much better than people in Korea, Vietnam, Puerto Rico, Philipenes, Iran , Chile, and even Hawaii. Not only did the US fail to ruin Cuba as it did those other places, but thanks to US non intervention, Cubas remarkable culture remains unscarred and a major tourist destination worldwide. I think that's what make so many ignorant Americans angry, Fidel proved to The World that you don't need American style "democracy" or capitalism to survive.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links