winches
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: winches

winches

I know some of you have seen the setup I have on the truck of mine with the boat winch to lift bikes and such to load on the flatbed. Well I thought I would get lazy and put an electric one on. Here goes, installed a 1500lb Warn on the boom, wired it up and was happy to just push a button and lift my toys onboard. Just one problem. First time I picked up a bike, a 1500 Kawasaki Vulcan, which I had loaded many times with the boat winch, the Warn failed dropping the bike about 3ft. Luckily my sister was operating the winch and I had ahold of the bike guiding it up. No damage was incured, but I sure disapointed in the Warn. Even with a one pulley purchase thereby cutting line pull in half it still stripped out the gears.

Admittedly the winch was full of line and they rate line pull on the first wrap, but the winch should have stalled before taking out the gears. Lesson learned, picked up a 3500lb winch today.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I thought you said wEnches.

When specifying tools with a load limit, I always "go big". Belief in the 3 times safety factor has saved my ass more than once.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

You could have blamed the fat old Kwacker you were lifting but noooo. You manfully took the blame for purchasing an inadequate wench for the job.
    Phelonius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Randall;

when you say "with a one pulley purchase":
    does that pulley remain stationary (say, up on the arm); while the bike is raised towards it and lowered away from it?
    Or; is the pulley down at the bike, moving up in the same direction and speed as the bike when lifting - and down in the same direction and speed of the bike when lowering?

joe

Quote Originally Posted by old w/2 many guns & bikes View Post
    Randall;

when you say "with a one pulley purchase":
    does that pulley remain stationary (say, up on the arm); while the bike is raised towards it and lowered away from it?
    Or; is the pulley down at the bike, moving up in the same direction and speed as the bike when lifting - and down in the same direction and speed of the bike when lowering?

joe
    I have a lead pulley at the end of the boom and a pulley on the pulling end hooked to the bike. The line goes to the lead pulley, down to the purchase pulley and back to the end of the boom giving it two lines down to the lifting pulling. It gives it a double advantage less the friction of the pulleys. The bike weighs around 650, so using a 1500lb winch and giving it a 2to1 advantage or 3000lb capability shouldn't fail picking up the weight of the bike. Like I said before, the winch should have stalled before taking out the gears.

Yep, sounds like you got a defective one. With the weight dropping to a little over 325 lbs, that 1500 lb winch should have had no problem (I would think). Glad neither you nor the bike sustained any damage.

Are you sure that as it was being lifted, you didn't here your sister saying "hey, what does this button do?" ........... don't tell her I said that!

The pulley at the boom tip is a fairlead. The pulley that moves with the bike to give 2 to 1 advantage is called the runner.
    When figuring mechanical advantage with a pulley system, (no matter how many pulleys), the advantage is how many falls at the moveable block.
    A fall is the rope. Hence the rope goes through the top block for direction. It becomes a fall as it goes down to the block at the bike.
    It is still called a fall as it goes back up to the top where it is anchored. This makes two falls at the movable block so two to one advantage minus 10%
    for friction. The 10 % is variable depending on the construction of your pulley is constructed, Ball bearings, diameter of pulley etc.
    Mel, plumbstraight, SanDue and 2 others like this.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    The pulley at the boom tip is a fairlead. The pulley that moves with the bike to give 2 to 1 advantage is called the runner.
    When figuring mechanical advantage with a pulley system, (no matter how many pulleys), the advantage is how many falls at the moveable block.
    A fall is the rope. Hence the rope goes through the top block for direction. It becomes a fall as it goes down to the block at the bike.
    It is still called a fall as it goes back up to the top where it is anchored. This makes two falls at the movable block so two to one advantage minus 10%
    for friction. The 10 % is variable depending on the construction of your pulley is constructed, Ball bearings, diameter of pulley etc.
    Good words for the system. I guess it just depends on what part of the country you are from as to what you call each pulley or line. My terms are different from yours but mean the same. I remember when in training in S forces a question was asked what skookum meant. I answered and from that he knew which part of the country I was from.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Regardless of how many falls, what ratio you have, if your winch was rated for 1500 lbs. and couldn't lift a 650 lb, weight, it was defective, either in construction or design.
    Last edited by mrlmd; 12-04-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Winches like that aren't designed for lifting, they are designed to drag a stuck atv out of the mud. No fail safes built in. If the gears fail on an atv stuck in the mud, no big deal, you are just stuck.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links