led accent lighting
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am putting some led accent strip lights on my bike to enhance my night time visibilty. I tried to wire them through a 3amp toggle switch. That quickly heated up so I disconnected it and took it back to the hardware store where I searched for another single pull switch. I found they have 3, 6, 10, 12, 15 and 20 amp switches. Should I just go for the highest amperage switch(20) or would a 10 or 15 be sufficient.

I did forget to put the inline fuse on. I will be sure to put that on for the next test and final result.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Must be a bunch of LEDs to heat up a 3-amp switch.

I like switches rated one step higher than the fuse.

No it was just one strip(24leds)! I guess running without a fuse caused it to heat up??? I guess I am going to try a 10amp switch and an in line fuse from autozone tomorrow.
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Most of those strips draw fractions of an amp. What's the rating on yours?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

It doesn't say. They are cheap chinese lights with no labeling whatsoever, but they are very bright. When I put them on my scooter I bought a lighted rocker switch that was 25A at 12v and a 15A fuse that worked a charm. I realize they draw very little power so why would it do this? Its just weird. I am gonna go buy a few different ones today and see what works. Fingers crossed...
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

It may be that the light in the rocker switch itself is your heat source, not the switch contacts. Switch lights can be incandescent, neon or even L.E.D. Incandescants can draw nearly as much as your entire string of accent lights just for the indicator light. To be safe go with a 10 amp or higher switch then maybe check your amp draw with a mulimeter so you know what size fuse to install.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I dont know whats wrong with these things. I am starting to believe I should forget these lights and start over with some other brand. I bought a 10amp switch and it did the same thing. There are no lights on this 10amp switch or the previous 3amp toggle switch. It was a lighted rocker switch I used on my scooter that was rated for 25amps that worked fine for similar lights.

I connect the light to the switch and to a wire with pigtails on it. Pretty much like a "Y" figure with the switch at the bottom and they all connect in the center. After flipping the switch on and off it starts smoking and gets super hot. The switch should be hooked to the hot and ground right?

Maybe I am just buying the wrong kind of switch.
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

There's your problem. You've wired them in a dead short.

Interupt the hot wire only. Run from the power source to the switch, , then out of the switch to the hot wire to the lights. Run the light ground to ground and you're back in buisiness.

You'll need a fuse somewhere in that hot line.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Damn im stupid. Using a spst threw me off with the two wires as opposed to the spdt I used before. Electronics have never been my fortee' but I shouldve thought this one out. Thanks man. Do you really think a fuse is necessary for such a low draw? If so, which amp fuse should I use with the 10amp switch? 5 or 10? I think they only make them in increments of 5 or at least thats all I saw...

Anyway, i'll post a few pics when I get it all finished. Need to order a few more lights first.
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

Quote Originally Posted by JdubSC View Post
    Damn im stupid. Using a spst threw me off with the two wires as opposed to the spdt I used before. Electronics have never been my fortee' but I shouldve thought this one out. Thanks man. Do you really think a fuse is necessary for such a low draw? If so, which amp fuse should I use with the 10amp switch? 5 or 10? I think they only make them in increments of 5 or at least thats all I saw...

Anyway, i'll post a few pics when I get it all finished. Need to order a few more lights first.

Always use a fuse. And put it as close to the power source (battery) as possible. The lights may draw very little, but if the wires going to the lights get cut and short against the frame you'll have no protection from that.

I'd go 5 amp fuse, but they make many different sizes not just increments of 5. If it blows the 5 amp fuse, you either have a short circuit or the 5 amp isn't large enough. If you keep adding lights to the same circuit/switch, you may need to bump up the fuse rating. If you have a multimeter that can read current you could get a baseline of what the system is using.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links