All I got for Christmas is a new right knee!
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: All I got for Christmas is a new right knee!

All I got for Christmas is a new right knee!

Two days ago on Tuesday, Dec. 20, I had a total knee replacement on my right leg. I got out of surgery around noon and by about 6:30 that evening, the Physical Terrorist had me up and walking (using a walker, of course!). Just one night in the hospital and then I was discharged around noon on Wednesday.

The surgery went very well but the best thing is that they put in an line in my upper thigh that is connected to a pressurized sphere that was about the size of a softball and contains a local anesthetic. This provides a steady supply of the anesthetic to the sensory nerve bundle for my knee and keeps the whole front of my knee numb. It is set on the lowest delivery rate and should last another couple of days which should be enough to get me through the worst of things. All I can say is that this thing is amazing! I can honestly state that my pain level around the knee continues to be zero. Today I am noticing a little soreness in my lower calf and upper thigh muscles, but that is the only discomfort that I have had so far. After the pump runs out (it is now about the size of a baseball) I will have to rely on oral meds for pain control. Too bad I can't just get this pump refilled!

My new knee already has a greater range of motion than my old crunchy one (payment for 30 plus years of distance running and kicking over old dirt bikes). I have to give myself injections to help prevent blood clots and need to redress the bandages over the incision until it stops leaking (didn't they used to have nurses do this?). Next week I start PT (Pain and Torture) in earnest.

I tried to talk my surgeon into cutting a little zig-zag over my kneecap so I wouldn't have just another boring, straight line incision. I think that he was actually considering it but he decided not to, figuring that the PT guys would assume that he had just slipped and would report him.

It looks like I may actually be able to enjoy my sons being home for Christmas. I had assumed that I would just be a suffering blob in bed the whole time they were here.
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 12-22-2016 at 04:54 PM.
    Tweaker, RDW, SanDue and 18 others like this.

Heal fast. Loved the zig zag idea. I am probably right behind you on at least one knee, wrecked the acl's in both, fixed the left one. The right knee is starting to hurt. Bionic man coming true.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 12-22-2016 at 11:06 PM.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

My best friend, 67, just had his left knee done and I was thrilled he finally went for it. It has been a little over a month now and he is doing pretty well on it. The first week he did not have your pump gadget so he was doped up pretty good and still feeling quite a lot of pain. He did make the classic mistake of weening off the meds far too early because he hates being dopey. Had to go to the ER for an injection around the fourth day after he refused to take the pain pills and then could not get the pain down with them. I took him to the ER and can tell you for sure to take the damn pills for at least the first week or you could be real sorry. He had abnormally heavy swelling and the doc held him back from PT for a week longer than usual but everyone is different there. I spent the day today with him doing some shopping and he is doing fine without the walker or cane and just moving a bit slower than he would like.

Good luck with your recovery Brian. I know how painful a knee can be and have had surgery twice but so far I don't need the replacement, just the pills every so often when I over do it and I hate them like you would never know. I did have a pal pick me up some medical edible THC candies and I must admit there is some value to the stuff when it is a choice between it and the pills. My best explanation is it will not kill the pain but it does take your mind off of it and you don't get the dopey feeling or the constipation associated with the damn pills.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    Brian,
    It is always good news when we hear about successful surgeries today. Only time will tell how successful, but several my friends who have had a knee replacement wondered why they waited so long to do it. Get well soon, and still look forward to one of your wrench and rides. So far, timing has not been cooperative.
    Get well soon, and Merry Christmas to yu and your family!
    Mel

We live in amazing times! Great to hear your recovery is going well. There seems to be a pattern developing concerning these knee and hip surgeries. Have you Brian, ridden with Joemama? I went on a Joemama ride and had hip surgery. Rider21 rode with Joemama just one time and had knee surgery. Even Joemama himself had knee surgery from riding his trails. I think Joemama owes us all a beer! Work hard on your recovery. Dirts a Flyen SanDue😉😀
    littletommy, Mel, TW-Brian and 6 others like this.

Glad you are doing so well Brian. Get good rest and take your time getting back on the bikes.
    SanDue, TW-Brian, Rockit and 3 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Good for you and heal fast.
    My Dad had his done a few years ago and wondered why he didn't have it done sooner rather than live in discomfort.

Damn Dan, I can handle the blame. I definitely will bring the Bud Weiser to the upcoming Boonville ride. I could be next on the list and will also have to blame that Damn Joemama

Lump of coal /versus/ knee surgery ?? Hmmm

I think knee surgery is the better gift.
    TW-Brian and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Brian- Hope ya heal quick. Give me a call if you need a hand with anything. Coming back around the 30th if you need help taking down the lights.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links