Help with eye glasses?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Help with eye glasses?

Help with eye glasses?

Most of us will eventually need some form of corrective eye glasses as we age. I began with the cheap cheater glasses we can buy at drug stores for $9.99 in different strengths like 1.50, 1.75 and right up to 3.0 power. In most cases these work great if you get the right strength.

I wear bifocals now which also work great because each eye is a little different. Where I am having an issue is with the focal point. That is the distance my face has to be from the object I am looking at and how the eye doctor sets it. Right now while typing I measure my focal point at 16 inches and my current prescription glasses give me perfect clarity. Sadly though, while sitting at the computer the 16 inch focal point forces me to hunch closer and my back and neck don't like me hunching. I would be much better off if the focal point was set at 24 inches so I could sit up straight and still see clearly. Sometimes working on a TW when I need to see clearly I just can't get to that exact 16 inch spot and worse yet I must have my head tilted so I can look through the bottom bifocal portion of the lens. That sucks.

I see now on TV that there are a few different adjustable focus types of eye glasses, Adlens and Dial a Vision to name a couple. These have a dial and a dual lens so you can dial in your preferred focal point for what you are doing. Seems like a great idea but I think most of this stuff "As Seen On TV" is usually nothing but expensive junk and sure to break with little use. I sure would like to have a pair of glasses set just right for when I am computing and for when I am working on my bike but this would require a few different pairs depending on what I am doing. Back to the adjustable focus dial a vision types. Has anyone actually tried these as seen on TV ones? If so have you found them to work and are they decent quality that could actually last a while if not mistreated?

For those who are beginning to need eye glasses try to make sure when you go for the exam and do buy a prescription set that you have the focal point adjusted for your best distance. Usually the eye doctor says to hold a book in your hands at the most comfortable distance and that is where he sets the focal point. Mine is at 16 inches for when I read a book but that is way too close for typing on the computer when I sit up straight. I have tried the Tri focal types and progressive lens ones but they drove me crazy always having to have my head in the correct tilt and my eyes looking through the right portion.

When I joined the USN back in 1970 I had what they considered perfect vision. 20/20 is good but I had 20/15 which is even better. Right around age 50 things started going south and I started needing magnifiers. Now at 65 I need a few different pairs set for various focal points or a pair I can keep close that are adjustable. Consider this. Say you want to have a GPS unit mounted on your TW handle bars. Measure the distance from the screen up to your eyes when you are sitting in your normal driving position and get your glasses set for that distance once you go to a bifocal set. I have to crouch forward to see the screen clearly and tilt my head up to look through the bottom lens. It might be a good idea to just bite the bullet when you do get your glasses and buy two pairs with different focal points, one for riding and computing and the other for every day regular wear.

I hope someone here has tried the adjustable ones and can offer some advice.

GaryL
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Funny thing happened less than a week ago. I pretty much knew this but the eye doctor told me I needed bifocals! Oh the humanity. Does this mean I am getting old? Anyway I ordered up my very first pair of progressive lenses. Just because I KNOW that age is taking it's toll on me doesn't mean everyone has to know I can see lasik surgery in my future if it will work for my needs. Have you looked into lasik Gary?

Tom
    GaryL and jtomelliott49 like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

rbm
    I had to buy my first set of progressive lenses this year. They took a while to get used to, and your peripheral vision is reduced BUT, these are the best. You can easily focus on whatever you need to simply by nodding your head up or down. I didn't need bifocals, I needed all of the prescription removed from the portion of the lenses I use for close up work and reading.
    GaryL, jtomelliott49 and drstimpy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I work with a computer all day and use my hands and need my focal point to be at arm's length.
    Ask your eye doctor, or glasses maker, to make you a set of progressive lens. They have many focal points and supposedly your eyes and brain get used to them. I had a hard time with them and now I use a pair of bifocals with long distant viewing on top and a larger than normal area of maybe 6-12" of close viewing. I also have another pair with one distance focal point, which is about 24-36" I use when I'm on the computer all day.
    LASIK won't help your close vision. That is a muscle issue. And there is an operation that tightens it back up but usually it will weaken up again over time.
    GaryL and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    Funny thing happened less than a week ago. I pretty much knew this but the eye doctor told me I needed bifocals! Oh the humanity. Does this mean I am getting old? Anyway I ordered up my very first pair of progressive lenses. Just because I KNOW that age is taking it's toll on me doesn't mean everyone has to know I can see lasik surgery in my future if it will work for my needs. Have you looked into lasik Gary?

Tom
    UH, NO! I look at a scalpel and think about getting my eye balls getting slashed with one and that is the last thing I think I would ever do.

In your line of work you will soon know exactly what I am talking about with standard eye glasses.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

It's hard to get old, I feel for you, I'm glad that I'm still a teenager yet, born in 1952.
    Dryden-Tdub, GaryL, Fred and 2 others like this.

The adjustable glasses work just like a pair of binoculars. You adjust the two lenses to be clear at what ever distance you are trying to see clearly. Like I said, great idea but are there any high quality ones other than the crap seen on TV?

I have a perfectly nice pair of progressive glasses but I just can't stand wearing them. Going down a set of stairs and I about want to kill myself trying to see where to step. I had a headache the entire few days I wore them and went back to my old set.

GaryL
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
    It's hard to get old, I feel for you, I'm glad that I'm still a teenager yet, born in 1952.
    Ha, Ha, 04/03/1952 here!

GaryL
    silverwing and jtomelliott49 like this.

Mel
    All you spring chickens are just beginning to find out how high the roost is!!!!!!!
    Mel

I got some sprecific computer glasses from Costco (precription). They don't work for distasnce, but they are great for close and mid, with very good periphial vision too. They are definetly worthwhile to keep at the desk and as a side bonus, work way better upide down when wrenching on a car or motorcyclye than full proggressives too!
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links