Death By GPS
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Death By GPS

Death By GPS

This sensationalistic term is broadly used to refer to situations where navigation systems erroneously send folks into trouble.
    This Monday we had a similar situation in my neighborhood. Snowfall had closed interstate 80 and some navigation aids were suggesting the old Lincoln Highway ( Henness Pass/ Dog Valley Road) as an alternate route. This is the same route the Donner Party took to their regret, and the same unpaved un-maintained rutted route a few of my group rides have traveled.
    Heading out for some errands I noticed all the flashing red and blues, cars stuck in ditches, and all the fancy search and rescue's track equipped ATVs and side-by-sides toys. While no one was hurt there were still many stuck vehicles that kept the tow trucks busy for a few days.
    Since then the highway dept. has been consulting with the navigation system companies about seasonal advisories, etc and in the meantime has placed a flashing warning sign back in town where there is still room to turn vehicles around.

While it is not reasonable to expect interstate travelers to know local conditions this is still a good reminder to use one's own judgement at all times. As motorcyclists were tend to be pretty good at this anyways. Wonder if I'll get any new "deposits" in the ditches tonight as this storm deepens.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I can't imagine anyone really wanting to use that route even in the summer in a car. In the winter, oh my! I suppose calling it the "Old Lincoln Highway" confuses people thinking it was really an old paved highway. It didn't look like it had ever been paved when we rode on it with you this past summer!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

There is always a risk when you put technology ahead of common sense.
    ejfranz, Mel and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Now:
    2016 TW 200
    2013 400 Honda Rancher
    2016 Honda 200 Recon (spare 4 wheeler)
    1971 Hodaka B Plus,first love
    John Deere 4200 compact - moves snow, tills and cuts grass
    Past:
    Kawasaki 500 H2 1971
    Honda Ascot FT500 1982
    Honda 250 XL

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

With GPS units what we all must realize is sometimes you have to go around the block to get across the street. One of my first GPS units was a set of Garmin Rino units with built in radios that had what they called Peer Location. When the radios talked to each other it showed the exact location on the map where each person was. It actually worked quite well except it could get you in deep do do quick. While hunting with a pal it showed he was just a couple hundred yards away from my position. When I hit the Go To setting it of course draws a straight line to him. That straight line would have walked me right off a cliff! Instead, I had to go a quarter mile north on the trail I was on just to find the crossing point around the cliff. GPS units are most useful in the woods if they have been somewhere before and have those tracks saved. You simply can't depend on straight line navigation when using topo maps unless you zoom in and can read and understand the terrain.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I usually know where i'm going better than my GPS, lol.

I live on a dead-end street with, at the end consists of a large hill and small footpath cut through the woods that lead to the street at the top. My street and the one at the higher elevation do not share the same name yet gps sends folks to this dead-end all the time. Garmin, Tom-Tom, Google Maps... they are all wrong and have been for the almost 20 years I have lived at my current address.
    Funny thing is that it is a short block and folks can obviously "see" ahead of time that they will be going nowhere yet they continue to travel to the end where it is very difficult to turn-around hoping that the technology they counted on will still save them. One of my more entertaining pastimes when mowing or working on my front lawn.
    Very similar to grabbing a beer and watching the action at the local boat ramp.
    littletommy, Fred, tuna and 2 others like this.

Here is what the "Old Lincoln Highway" looks like in my old town of Birth, Van Wert, Ohio....note signs on poles....not sure if that "Old Lincoln Highway" out your way was ever paved

Van Wert Downtown.jpg
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 01-08-2017 at 07:17 AM.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

A good rule is to never leave the pavement when using GPS to drive. Dirt roads can be very dangerous and desolate during the winter here in the mountains.

I think the GPS maps are getting better. I have not heard of anyone lost because of it for a couple years, up here.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

lololol....I don't have a GPS......Well, there is probably one in my phone (android), but I don't know how to use it much. Yes, I'm a luddite.
    Tallahasseetw likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

How do you spell luddite???
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links