Work After Work
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Work After Work

Work After Work

Got off work (11.5 hours worth) last night at 7, While I was at work Mudbug informed me that the hot water pipe had frozen going to the kitchen. The main issue with this was that it would hinder us practicing our culinary skills and enjoying our evening in the kitchen. It thawed out a little before I got home so no worries. Well, around 7:30 we go in the kitchen and their is no hot water. The kids had been washing dishes and said that they ran out and it was just waiting he heat back up. 8:15 roll around and I check it and its still cold.
    After a little bit of checking I decide that the heating element went out. Having been down this road before, I keep a spare element for just such occasions. After getting the water hose drug through the house into the bathroom and get everything hooked up I decide to just let the water heater drain into the shower, except its not draining. The Water hose froze and has ice in it. So I blow it out, from the wrong end, now there is ice, water and misc other things that were in the water hose decorating the water heater closet. Nice. Ohwell, I decide that's a simple enough problem, lets get this thing drained. hooked back up, still not draining. So I start using the water hose like a siphon hose thinking that it just needs a little help. Im still not sure what I drank and exactly how wet I got when it started flowing.
    About 30 minutes later I look and it appears to be finished, Time to change the element. Turns out the hose and somehow stopped but the heater was quite full still and I learned this when I started to pull the element. Now that Im really Wet and the closet is a small swimming pool. I run the hose out the back door and it flowing like a river at this point. Didn't take that long for everything to finish up making a mess (the water I mean, im going strong) The element can finally be changed. This was the only uneventful part of the process as the water hose hung on everything possible on the way out from the hallway wall to couch legs, turned the power back on BEFORE I put the cover over the element so I was reminded that it has electricity flowing to it, the shower is also now a mess from the heater draining and refilling (mineral build up) because I had the shower turned on to let the air escape and fill faster. This all finished up around 11:00 last night.
    I Did have a VERY nice hot shower this morning though.....
    ejfranz, Rider21, Mel and 16 others like this.
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

Don't ya just hate coming home from work to a disaster!!??
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider21 View Post
    Don't ya just hate coming home from work to a disaster!!??
    It most certainly wasn't the plan. Sliced Deer Fajita's or Deer Tacos was the plan (still got the taco's in the end, yum)
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I clicked like but I really don't, glad it all worked out.

Wow, Lomax, that wasn't much fun at all. It always seems to hit you when you have something else on the agenda. Glad you got it fixed as quickly as you did. Whenever I do a project like this, whether planned or unplanned, it takes at least three,yes, three trips to Home Depot or lowes. I'm like Tuna, I clicked on like, just cause I like reading what folks on here are going through.
    littletommy, Lomax, mudbug and 2 others like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

I was glad I had decided to keep that extra element, We have a local hardware store that was long since closed by the time I got home and Home Depot or Lowes either one are 30 miles away and that would have been my only option that late. When it comes to repairs like that, rather than a like, its more like a love to hate kinda thing. I understand what you mean totally on the "like" on this one
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

Sounds about like me last March:

As Montezuma and I were heading home from Big "Not in South Texas" Bend, the wife calls and tells me that the main drain in the basement had backed up and raw sewage was coming up in the basement....the West Central Ohio area had major rains for a few days before, but since I live on 'Five Points" the highest level in the city of Celina, this should not happen, and only has one other time before....once again I guessed the City was at fault, despite their denial....BASTARDS! ....

After we arrived home I called out the plumber and for the 2nd time in 21 years had major "Roto Rooter" type work done.....I then raised Hell with City Hall....and told them if it happed again, at their fault, I was going to plug up their Gawd Damn Main Drain and let the chips fall....the sons a bitches did major cleaning work soon after and no problems since....we will see how it goes this coming rainy season...

Not the first time I have left the house and come home to a mess or water damage...a pain in the ass to say the least, but it could be worse...
    Lomax, mudbug, Mel and 5 others like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

yeah, it could have been a bigger issue than it turned out to be, Im happy about that. Hopefully your complaining to city hall made a difference as I would much rather come home to a failed element over a basement full of sewage
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

Time to hire this guy.
    s-l1600.jpg
    Phelonius

lucky for lomax, i dont mind getting a little dirty. while he was at work today, i crawled under the house and insulated the re-frozen pipe after it thawed. the "eager to please" dog....a g.d. nightmare he brought home last yr, had chewed all the foam crap off. also lucky for lomax, i brought a new-to-me boat and trailer home today all rigged out for the river. for free. go me!!!! (that last part had nothing to do with this thread. im just excited and had to tell everybody.)
    Hidden Content not my circus - not my monkeys Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links