Is memory foam a good idea for the seat?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i was planning on making one for my 87 tw, then giving away the rest of the pieces to you guys.....but our rat terrier Vinnie didn't like that idea . came home to this a few days ago

11 ninja 1000

The last dog somebody told me I needed ate the linoleum floor in the utility room.

Be thankful it wasn't on the bike when the pooch did that.

My chocolate lab just had to eat up one of our sofas.

What is it about that foam or the smells they trap?

Mike
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think they naturally despise VOC's, er sumpin'. That stuff ain't exactly cheap.

I gotta get some pics. My sister's lab literally ate my other sister's car a couple of weeks ago. Both bumpers, AC and tranny lines, tail lights and all. If it was rubber or plastic he shredded til he hit metal. $3700, total.

We bought an orthopedic memory foam dog bed thingy for "The Hardest Werkin Dawg in America" and if the old broad doesn't start using it pretty soon it's gunna be a TW seat. You gunna use it in its entirety or inset it into the tender parts?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    and if the old broad doesn't start using it pretty soon it's gunna be a TW seat. You gunna use it in its entirety or inset it into the tender parts?

i was going to do the whole seat with it, but its so soft i may have to stack it on top of the stock foam and smash it down.

looks like the dog spared enough for me so i may give it a go this weekend
    11 ninja 1000

I don't know about "memory foam". I've used plain old upholdstery foam available from any upholstery shop for a reasonable price. Motorcycle seats do better with harder foam since quite a bit of weight is supported over a relative small area compared to a recliner or sofa.

The quick and dirty method I've seen most is to cut a channel crosswise in two places roughly equal to just the area your butt occupies most. Remove that section and insert the memory foam, shape it, then recover.

If you just slap the cover back on without stapling it and go for a ride you should be able to see if you like the results. If not you can remove it and glue your old foam section back in. No harm, no foul.

The good thing about doing it this way is that you have the majority of your existing foam in plade to use as a shaping guide. You can also pull it off while leaving the staples in the forward part of the seat cover unmolested.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Since I'm in the "foam" business, I had to say something about this one. Dogs have been eating my foam flooring product for 20 years, and don't have a clue about why they do it. Technically, the chemistry should taste bad, but the running joke around here is that our product seems to be "Milkbone" flavored.

Memory foam is open-cell, so make sure you protect it when around water it or it will act like a sponge and soak up water. Same for most cushion type foams.

Closed cell foams like EVA or PE (used in a lot of padding and protective apps) can get wet and not soak up water. Higher density, so not as soft.

Blended sponge foams like polyurethane/latex are what is used in the most of the motorcycle seat pads on the market, like the Stearns pad everyone seems to love here. Waterproof and a weird squish feel that makes it seem soft

Rory
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

I'll get you guys a pic some day soon... came home two days ago to find my 110 lb mastiff "puppy" eating the front fender on the tw200!!!
    ITCB

Kwitchurbellyackin. You choose to complicate your life with pets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links