No More Shovelling
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: No More Shovelling

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar

No More Shovelling

grewen, littletommy, Fred and 3 others like this.

hey Smitty, you lucky dog! what are you using for heat?
    littletommy likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

That's cheating!

Tom
    littletommy likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That's awesome.
    littletommy likes this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Show us the heating coils.
    Last edited by stagewex; 01-20-2017 at 09:04 AM.
    littletommy likes this.

Nice, I could really use that in MN - how'd ya do it?
    littletommy likes this.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Nice! Is that new?

Is it propane/gas/oil, electric, or Geo? No shoveling is awesome.

I inquired about installing a hot water loop under my new driveway back in 2008, as I was also having a Ground Source heat pump system done nearly the same time. AS it turns out, the extra cost of the heat pump sizing and the additional vertical well loop would have cost an extra $12,000, before installing the water coils under the driveway, and the costs of operation when necessary.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Yes. It is new.
    The driveway is heated with an antifreeze solution that runs through 5/8" PEX tubing attached to 2 to 4 inches of 100psi (Can withstand 100psi without deforming) foam insulation.

Then a layer of stone dust is put on top of the tubing and then two layers (one coarse, one fine) of asphalt, then finally sealed after curing in the summer heat for a few months.
    The front walk has the bluestone directly laid on the stone dust.

There is also thermal separation on the edges of the slabs to avoid heat loss.

Currently, the control system is... All of the circulators plugged into extension cords, controlled by the switch on a surge strip, with the tempering being done manually (I love playing with it) while it snows.

The master operating control is a brand new Tekmar Wi-Fi injection pump control that gets impending storm info from the internet and turns itself on based on certain adjustable parameters.
    The secondary control (for the smaller front walk zone) is a linked (to the primary control) separate system, so it acts like a zone. This way if we are in Florida, I can only heat the front walk so the Mailman doesn't trip (We like him, he brings bike PARTS!). There is also a snow sensor for sudden squalls or internet outage and two slab sensors so the systems don't overheat. The separate snowmelt setups (front walk and driveway) are only tied into each other via a glycol feeder /pressure maintainer, and share an expansion tank.
    There is one oversize flat plate heat exchanger (130k btu and 300k btu) for each zone. So one can run independently of the other.

And, you are thinking... Holy shit, the boiler to drive that must be huge. Well, it should be. But I am driving all that and the house with one 145k btu (DOE output) Weil Mclain EG standard gas/water boiler. It is way past its limit and it shows. Barely puts out 140 degrees when all zones are up (7 in house plus 2 snowmelt). I swear I can hear the cast iron crying.
    The planned boiler is an HTP Elite Plus of about 399k btu that modulates down 10 to 1. Let's see if I can weasel a boiler out of the rep.

And..... The system is piped so we can use the heat generated by the driveway (149 to 162 degrees F) in summer to heat our domestic hot water.. Thus getting our local Green seal of approval and keeping the blacktop fairly cool so it lasts longer.

The system of asphalt replacement is handled by peeling up the layers as usual, then re laying fresh stuff on top. Have done it on many of my earlier systems throughout the years.

I'd show pics of the manifolds, but the spaghetti wiring does not look professional. especially with all the lab meters on it checking performance.

Thanks for your interest.
    This is what I do for a living.
    grewen, Ken and Tweaker like this.

My sidewalks and driveway are solar heated. They have never been iced.

Around here they shave the ice.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Phelonius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links