electric e-bike
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: electric e-bike

electric e-bike

Just curious if any one has one and what their thoughts are.
    I am thinking of this bike radrover-electric-fat-bike would be good for my wife.
    Then I would have a hard time keeping up with her instead of the other way around.
    Also if we are at the dunes she could take it out on the beach and explore while I am out playing on the TW - the videos are quite impressive on how well it does in the loose sand.

Fast forward to where he actually takes it for a spin about 17 minutes in.
    Fred and grewen like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Did not review all the video
    Questions that come to mind:
    Warranty support
    Cost and availability of replacement battery
    Tires/tubes easy to find
    Maximum grade it will climb without pedal support
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

what lengths will a guy go, to be alone with his Tdub
    ejfranz and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I was going to buy or build two bafun mid-drive fat tire bikes before we decided to get the Tw's. My daughter who lives on Catalina Island, before she had full interior access, bought a chinese carbon 49er prototype MTB with a 750w bafun mid-drive motor because she could drive to the middle ranch with out special permits. That bike was @$2200. But retails for @$3800. Her bike does over 27 mph which is damm fast. If you have never riden any electric bike you will be blown away by how much fun they are. One advantage to a mid-drive is they will climb better, but that is a new type of hub motor with gearing that should climb great. They have hit All The right stuff with this bike. I think for what it is that is a great price. Your wife will have a blast on a bike like this. He even mentioned you could put a supension seat post on it for more comfort. Spare batteries are @ $400-500 ??? last I knew but may come down soon. Any bike shop can fix all the bike parts. The range is great. The bafun electric parts are very common in a lot of e bike shops now and online. What I like about this set up is the 750w motor. There are some laws restricting speed and power on the street. So most ebikes have 5oo watts or less. With this set up you can fool the controller by changing wheel size and top speed will increase. Also you could drive it with a 52v battery which helps keep the motor cool and add more power. Plus there are programing tricks you can do to the controller. Of course I am not recomending that you break the law while riding this bike on the street.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 01-20-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    elime and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

If the electric bike is actually used a lot, then go for it, especially if the rider has health issues and can't pedal a real bike.

I had an electric bike for almost two years, I thought I would use it to commute to work once in a while. Turns out I'm too lazy to go through the logistics of spare clothing, timing, and lunch making. I think I put about 40-50 miles total on it during that time.

I sold it last Summer at a significant loss. I simply did not use it as I thought I would.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

SportsterDoc
    Warranty support - 1 year
    Cost and availability of replacement battery - $499 and they are available
    Tires/tubes easy to find - yes
    Maximum grade it will climb without pedal support - 15%

This bike cost less than my last mountain bike and my wife is not all that adventuresome.
    i ride to work almost every day rain or shine on my Kona Dew Delux and can maintain 20 mph on the flats. On my Norco Shinobi 29er, I can easily maintain 18 mph and I know my wife does not like to go above 15 mph on a bike.
    This would allow her to keep up with me when we do go for a bike ride.
    I had originally bought the TW for my daughter, but it soon became my fun toy and this may also end up as a new toy for me.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

For your wife, or anyone that wants to mt bike, but really will not be strong enough to really go up and downhills, it's a good alternative bike.
    The price is low enough to get in the door. If the electrics go out you still have a viable fat tire mt bike. And you could switch out the rear hub and lose the battery and have a fun ride.

I think for your wife to get out and ride with you it would serve purpose very well.

I demo'd an ebike, I don't remember the company name but it was really a full suspension downhill mt bike design built with XT components and a motor/battery that could go over 20 mph.
    It really couldn't climb the dirt trails we had been doing but it did make it much easier for me especially since I was tired. I was impressed but it was like $5k.

When I can't climb the trails I like to mt bike on I'll look into an ebike more seriously.

I take it she doesn't read this forum. Lol. Check out youtube for videos of fat tire bikes in the snow they are pretty good in snow too. A couple of years ago it was going to cost me at Least $1100 or more just for the mid-drive parts with the wide bottom bracket to install on a fat bike not counting the bike. It was hard to find the brake - motor cut out levers and the most of the fat tire bikes didn't have suspension front forks. The batteries are probably good for 1000 charge / discharge cycles. That's 20k+ miles at 20 miles per charge conservatively. 40k with pedal assist. It doesn't hurt for the batteries to sit especially with out a full charge. In fact if you weren't going to ride it for a while if you leave it charged at 50-60% and then charge it before you're going to ride its better for the batteries. These batteries loose some capacity with age but they are lasting well over 7 years.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 01-21-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

what are the charging options? is there a set up for solar? the battery won't last too long when dry camping.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Positively shocking!
    Phelonius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links