Any Dakar fans out there?
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just wondering if anyone has info on where to find Dakar 2012 coverage (televised or online) for the upcoming race. The last couple years, the coverage on speed or Vs (can't remember which) have sucked big time.

thanks Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

I'd like to follow it every day this time, for once. Let me know if you find out.

ADVrider usually has info on such stuff.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

No. Picking up their kind of motorcycles hurts my back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If Team Vespa can finish 5 outta 6, Team Turtle can surely do the same. We should field a Metamucil Militia effort and hire college kids to run behind us and pick up our bikes. Lord knows they're expendable

EDIT: I lied. It was 2 out of 4. Them wuz the daze, when men wuz men:

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic16585

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    If Team Vespa can finish 5 outta 6, Team Turtle can surely do the same. We should field a Metamucil Militia effort and hire college kids to run behind us and pick up our bikes. Lord knows they're expendable

EDIT: I lied. It was 2 out of 4. Them wuz the daze, when men wuz men:

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic16585
    Sweet link russ. I can't even imagine the vespas tackling the big dunes in Maurtania(sp).

As soon as I find some info on coverage, I'll post it here. I know a few websites broadcast live segments, but looking for a televised source I can program the DVR for or a website I can watch at night after work.

josh

I haven't looked at the FIA Dakar rules in years. You probably won't see those kinds of teams anymore.

What mattered about the Vespa team was that they finished. I once read that, aside from fabricating the extra fuel tanks and plumbing in the centrifugal air cleaners the bikes were essentially standard production versions with more attention payed to the frame shell welds and slightly larger wheels being the most significant mods.

Of course having some of the best talent piloting them didn't hurt.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Look for the Dakar thread on ADVRider for the best online coverage.

2012 Dakar Route:

From Their Website: "As the condor (rather than the crow) flies, almost 5,000 kilometres separate Mar del Plata from Lima. In 2012, the Dakar will be staging a pan-American adventure of more than 9,000 kilometres in total. Unlike previous year’s loops, the route will transport the rally from the shores of the Atlantic Ocean to those of the Pacific, enabling its competitors to discover new lands and another aspect of South America. The scale of this challenge has also led to a change in the race’s format, which will include 14 days of racing in 2012. Constantly guided by the Andes Mountain range, the drivers and riders will be crossing the Atacama, and will experience in particular the diversity of the dunes as they head into Peru".

Also looks like the bike entries are now limited to 450cc.

"The reform which began two years ago has reached its conclusion. All the bikes enrolled on the Dakar 2012 will be limited to an engine size of 450cc. In 2010 and 2011, the compulsory switchover to 450cc for the elite riders led to a more intense battle between the constructors: 4 different constructors were represented in the final Top 10 of the last edition".

LINK TO DAKAR SITE

The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

The Dakar is cool, exciting and interesting, probably helps sell a lot of cars, trucks and bikes in same the way that other types of racing do. But I'll never be influenced to buy anything because so-and-so's facsimile of a production Toyota/KTM/Subaru/Etc. which has almost nothing remaining from a production model but the looks has just won the Dakar. I'll continue to follow it, though. It's like Indy, or Daytona. Ya gotta.

What I like to see return is a "Festivus for The Restovus" or "Showroom Stock" aspect of the Dakar.

Increase the production numbers for homologation to thousands of units rather than dozens, with the focus less on winning outright than finishing.

No displacement or MSRP limit, and you can hire all the pro riders you want to, but no 18 valve heads, one-off motors or Unobtanium frames unless me and my cousin Lenny and a few thousand of our closest friends can go down to the showroom and get all that stuff standard. Extra fuel tanks, tires, navigation and safety equipment the only mods permitted. Support trucks carry fuel, tires and six sizes of hammers. If you can bend it back into shape and get rolling again, that's cool, but no parts replacement allowed otherwise. Once it breaks, yer done.

I'm not proposing some new age, "no losers" nonsense. Prize munny and contingencies should rightfully go to the swiftest, just like the Dakar. But as a consumer I'd be more interested in knowing that 5 out of 6 bone stock DRZ's, for example finished the race while only 2 out of 6 EXC's made it, if that turned out to be the case.

The results of THAT would influence me to buy a bike.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Ok, spanish but in Cali that's like spanglish.

pretty good coverage http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/t...-01-11/985409/

This Spanish (as in from Spain) TV station had coverage last year and hour long presentations.

first option

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links