top gear
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: top gear

lately ive been watching the UK version of the television program top gear. i think its a pretty good show. i like watching it because how people drive in other countries has always interested me. but i was just wondering what you guys across the pond think of the american version of top gear?

I haven't seen the American version, but a friend of mine says it's no comparison to the UK version. He said the American version tries too hard to make it humorous and just can't pull it off like the UK. I have only seen a couple UK versions (the race to the north pole and the race across London to the airport) and I thought they were very entertaining. Being I don't have cable/satellite I don't get to see much of any TV these days, and for the most part I'm fine with that except for shows like this.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I cry if I miss a new BBC TG episode, the US vesrion is so/so I'm not sure if like it yet.

http://blackenheimer.com/ten_best_to...moments_280908

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mhlyaspCx8[/media]

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ugh. The American show is just embarrassing. The BBC guys are not only fun to watch, but you get the feeling they are hard core auto enthusiasts. Their American counterparts strike me as just acting the part.

Mark
    '10 Truimph Bonneville Std.

I've never seen the US Top Gear, but I always watch the BBC version (obviously).

The presenters are definitely real petrol heads, and the "normal" one, James May makes some pretty good TV programs on his own about science and engineering.

My favorite episode is the Vietnam motorbike road trip. Jeremy Clarkson is known for his dislike of motorbikes, but comes round to the joys of motorcycling in the end. The other two are very keen motorcyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark In WA View Post
    Ugh. The American show is just embarrassing. The BBC guys are not only fun to watch, but you get the feeling they are hard core auto enthusiasts. Their American counterparts strike me as just acting the part.

Mark
    Yeah, I agree.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark In WA View Post

Mark

x3 Hard to live up to the original. If only those guys on the British Top Gear didn't slam the US auto industry so much they could probably air that one instead hahaha.

Top Gear USA.... FAIL

The hosts make or break the show.

Bad choice of hosts in US.

Even Top Gear UK didn't take off until Jeremy was hired I have read.

We really like all 3 hosts, each has there own likable personality.

Our favorite episode is the one driving cheap used cars across the African desert.

Now we want to buy an "Oliver".
    James

Attitude =

The difference between

Ordeal and Adventure

American and Australian Top Gear=not bad if you really like cars. The American version needs to keep Tanner Foust (real car enthusiast/racer/world record breaker) and get rid of those other two clueless clowns. Then I think it would have potential to be a great show. They need to change up the hosts a bit in the Aus version, too.

UK original Top Gear = my favorite show of all time! James May makes that show!
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by pmtg View Post
    I haven't seen the American version, but a friend of mine says it's no comparison to the UK version. He said the American version tries too hard to make it humorous and just can't pull it off like the UK. I have only seen a couple UK versions (the race to the north pole and the race across London to the airport) and I thought they were very entertaining. Being I don't have cable/satellite I don't get to see much of any TV these days, and for the most part I'm fine with that except for shows like this.

You can watch all episodes of all seasons of Top Gear UK for free online. I mean, uh, you COULD...lol.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links