Be careful out there.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I hope this local story has a happy ending, but this is day 4.

Local search and recue personel are regarded as the finest in the world, bar none. These guys are on ATV's, in a target area of only 60 square miles of somewhat mountainous but relatively open desert.

Have your ducks in a row when you leave the house.

2 men on ATV are focus of Mojave Desert search

The Associated Press

Posted: 12/22/2011 12:46:01 AM PST

Updated: 12/22/2011 12:46:02 AM PST

RANDSBURG, Calif.—Authorities and volunteers faced rough terrain and numerous open mine shafts in the search for two Santa Barbara men who went missing over the weekend in the Mojave Desert.

Christopher Rice, 29, and Daniel Carbonaro, 29, have been missing since 2:30 a.m. Sunday when they were spotted riding all-terrain vehicles away from a hotel in Randsburg, a ghost town, according to Sgt. Ray Pruitt of the Kern County Sheriff's Department.

The search area encompassed 60 square miles in the one-time gold- and silver-mining region.

The roommates were heading to a dry lake bed in neighboring San Bernardino County when they were last seen.

Daytime highs are in the 50s, but the National Weather Service predicted nighttime lows of 31 Wednesday night and around 23 degrees Thursday night.

Carbonaro's friend Jonathan Katz-Moses told the Santa Barbara News-Press that he has set up a trust fund for the men's families to help fund their assistance in the search effort.

He described Carbonaro as "one of the most caring, toughest, fun-loving guys I've ever met."

"They're strong boys and they're hanging on somewhere," said Katz-Moses.

Kern County sheriff's Lt. David Barker tells the Los Angeles Times that some 180 searchers from both counties are hunting for the men.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thats why you file a flight plan and stick to it!

hope they find them soon!
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Keep us posted, the mojave is not a good place to be lost or in trouble.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    A good ad for carrying a Spot messenger.

I hope they are all right and are found soon.

Unfortunate ending. They were found sometime today:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/22/us/cal...ers/index.html

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Very sad. Riding in new areas in the dark is a very, very bad idea. I have a feeling that this would have never happened had they just waited to ride in the morning. I hope this serves as a lesson to people thinking its ok to ride uncharted territory at night.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE GUYS!!!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I'm gunna get some intel on the details. Gotta be more to it than has been released so far. Due to the topography of the area it sounds as if they may have been fairly close to their original departure point.

This happens all too frequently around here and I like to armchair analyze where folks went wrong.

Helluva time of year for a family to get this sort of news. But at least they know.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sad, but a very good reminder. Would appreciate the follow-up Russ. Though we are inclined to wag a finger at those that 'seem' foolish. The bits of wisdom and words of caution need to be heeded, but likely are comming from folks (like myself) that pushed the limit of 'common sense' and still drove/walked/flew/paddled or swam home with a story to tell.

I can think of three occasions where I was, or thought I was, not where I planned to be. Actually after serious thought, I did not know where in the hell I was exactly. In reality, at that moment, I was LOST! However one side of my brain was not inclined to agree with what the other side indicated. That I suspect is a situation that many outdoor oriented folks have faced. It seems real hard to know if I would be inclined to hunker down and stay put at exactly the "right" moment. During those past situations, guess I was lucky and stumpled upon something I could identify and proceeded with 'more' confidence.

Perhaps the deal breaker is having the (some) survival gear with you that will help keep you alive until help arrives, or you find your own way back. I found not knowing where I was relative to where I thought i'd be, VERY uncomfortable. I do have a Spot. My bet is, the unit would likely make a long wait for help much shorter. Stay safe and have a GREAT HOLIDAY.. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

We don't know that these two characters were lost. They were found at the bottom of a ravine--either they ran off a trail, the trail gave way under them, they were taken out by a rockslide, or 2-legged varmints gave them a little help going over the edge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links