what gps maps?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: what gps maps?

what gps maps?

i'm looking at gps maps for my garmin for utah. it seems if i buy the 24k topo maps, i have to buy maps for 4 states, 3 of which i will not use, for about $140. if i buy huntview maps i can get just utah and save $40. does any one use the huntview style of map? being a novice, i'm not clear on the differences between the different types of maps
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I used the Gaia app on my iPhone last year when I rode from St. George, UT to the Bar 10 Ranch. It worked great, especially for $20. Note: this app will work even when out of cell phone tower range using the satellite receivers in your smart phone. I will say there is a bit of a learning curve and I brought paper maps I printed at home and hand drawn maps I made myself as back ups. Never had to use those though. Just stopped every once in a while and did a spot check with Gaia to make sure I was still on track.

Gaia GPS helps you find your way anywhere, even offline | Macworld

that was very interesting but, that didn't help with my question
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    that was very interesting but, that didn't help with my question
    Just throwing out a cheap alternative that I have tested.
    littletommy and JerseyJeeper like this.

Hey grewen. I have Gaia too. A dedicated gps has a lot going for it. But if you are willing to switch technology the smart phone app has great maps in several formats for $20 total. Just saying. Gps chart plotters for boats use to be thousands of dollars. The dedicated charts many more hundreds. I can now do the same thing on an iPad for $50 in nav apps. If Garmin were smart they would unlock the maps as their closed format is dying. For $20 what's to lose? Sorry this doesn't answer your question either.
    littletommy and Rockit like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

that would mean i would have to get rid of my 2 year old montana ($500) and buy a $700 smart phone, mmmm let me see.....no. does any one have any info on the garmin maps?
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
    Just throwing out a cheap alternative that I have tested.
    not so cheap if i don't have a smart phone
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

garmin.openstreetmap.nl or gpsfiledepot.com

I have always bought Garmin hardware, but their maps suck. Well, the maps are fine, but the licensing/usage sucks. Some (most...all?) of their map products have to activated and are forever tied to the serial (ID) number of the GPS unit they are installed on. Some aren't, a lot are...if you decide to shell out for Garmin maps, check and make sure you can use them down the road if you upgrade your GPS unit.
    Buy a $500 GPSr. Then buy a $300 Garmin map suite. The $300 maps will only ever work on that GPS. So when you decide to upgrade to a newer model, you're buying the maps all over again. There are other ways that are free, and legal.
    Maybe they changed the way the map products are handled now, but it was always that way, so the Ibycus project came about (super awesome FREE topo maps for all of Canada.) There are lots of similar products for the US and the rest of the world.

**If Garmin has completely changed their registration system lately, I....don't give a crap. I worked my way through around 10-11 Garmin GPS units, and would have had to spend a small fortune buying maps over and over again. Crazy...
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 02-11-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Once Garmin, always Garmin, I guess. I never did fall for their program after I bought a Nuvi. Expensive and out dated, fast!

These days a Samsung (or iPad) tablet with downloadable Google Pro maps is hard to beat. You don't even need a cell plan for the tablet to work in GPS mode.

do you know if these huntview maps will be a good choice for trails? i am not in the know about downloading after market maps, so right now i'm kinda stuck with ordering garmin sd cards
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links