Tool Pool.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Pool.

I wonder if anyone in here has been involved with other bike sites who had "tool pools". For those unfamilar with the concept, a tool pool is a situation in which expensive or handmade specialty tools are loaned to other members for the price of shipping, then either shipped to the next guy in need or back to their owners. I've been on other sites which offered them, but always preferred to buy or make my own. I'm not sure how they worked in terms of deposits and guarantying return of tools since I've never patticipated.

How did it work out? Was everyone honest and prompt, or was it a black hole to be taken advantage of by dishonorable members who vanished from the site along with the tools?

I have a few TW tools which I've made, including a fork tool for removing the lower legs, my timing light rig for diagnosing intermittemt slobbering, flywheel puller etc. Other members may have other tools which are seldom called for, but either prohibitively expensive or beyond most people's skillset to make for themselves.

Good idea, or nightmare? Anyone with success in running one give me ideas on how to run it properly, if at all.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hello, (Sorry for my translation)

Tools for "Valve guide extractor/replacer"

Tool for Valve..

For shock absorber tool...

That plywood shock spring compressor rocks!

Very nice.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I like the concept Russ, but it might work best on a regional basis. It would be easier for you to go pound on Ronny's head if he didn't play straight than if he was on the otherside of Vermont. I know we have Az, Ca, Idaho, Washington, and various eastern nodes. I'm probably one of the most isolated of all. On the bikeforum we have a facilitators thread (aimed at folks who will pick up, pack, and ship things for others at greater distances. We could have a volunteer cooperator thread, with cooperation only provided to folks that had been around, and were known members of the community. I'm not likely to loan a tool to someone who never provided his local until he was asking for something, nor to someone who ripped me on a purchase already at a bargain rate. No good deed goes unpunished or so the saying goes. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I don't know about the pool thing, but I'm thinking it would be very cool to have a thread where people would post their home made tools like christddel did. It wouldn't have to be restricted to tools for the TW.

There are some real creative minds here. Seeing how someone made a tool for one thing might trigger an idea that can be used for something else. Working on cars I spend half the time coming up with things to take the place of those special service tools and frankly, they don't always work that great.

Mark
    '10 Truimph Bonneville Std.

No issues here. Turn this'n into a homemade tool thread or begin another. Meanwhile if anyone has any tips on how to make the tool pool idea viable for those who own the tools, pm me.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mark In WA View Post
    Seeing how someone made a tool for one thing might trigger an idea that can be used for something else.

Mark
    +1 I constantly have to make tools to work on the fleet that I maintain. Most things that work real well are the refinement of a dozen things that didn't work as well. Gary
    "It's more fun going fast on a slow bike than going slow on a fast bike" UK

1994 TW200, 2009 F800GS loaded,

They used to call my dad McGuyver, he's came up with some awsome ideas through the years. And why limit to only TW tools, that's not the only thing people work on. I have a few things I've designed for my AR that make cleaning and rebarreling a snap.

With a relatively small group of far flung members, a tool pool is tough. Other clubs I've been in on group rides usually try to coordinate and so that they bring one of everything in the way of parts and tools. Or have a well equipped recovery vehicle and trailer. At tech clinics I've been to, people bring everything they have and loan each other stuff at the clinic. I've been able to take tools home from tech clinics and then return them, but that was in a large city with many members that we knew well.

If it is not someone you know and trust, maybe have them PayPal a deposit. After the tool is returned, PayPal the deposit back less shipping and handling. Make the deposit large enough that you don't mind losing the tool if it is never returned.
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

I hear ya on the far-flung members.

Southern Cal members aren't nearly as far-flung, but I think what happens when it comes to this bike is that the logistics of hauling make large assemblages less attractive. Bigger bikes are more conducive to "ride-in" tech days. That seems to be the case when trying to organize group rides, as well. Few people (other than us wackos) seem to be interested in riding these little bikes the distances required even when they're typically less than 100 miles, and don't have the means or don't want the hassle of hauling their bikes. 3-5 bikes constitute a successful event. Seems to be the case in other regions as well. We 3-5 are having a blast, mind you, but I think Purple would like some better company . Y'all come!

We've attempted to get this sort of thing going in the past. We have one of the highest concentrations of TW's here in SoCal. Responses for proposed "Turtlefests" or even gatherings at burger joints on a Sunday afternoon generally go lacking, even when we endeavor to keep them centralized for everyone. Doesn't seem to be that sorta bike. So you try to help folks by phone or email when an hour or two at a hands-on tech day would see them off to the races. No biggie. One bike at a time...

Thanks for the tool pool info.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links