Who lives below the Oroville Dam?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Who lives below the Oroville Dam?

Who lives below the Oroville Dam?

Marian and I have been watching the news all evening on the Oroville Dam over flow. Our prayers are with you.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I don't know if anyone from the forum that is below the dam damn. Gerry, Mr.Gizmo should be safe in Paradise, above the damn. Let's hope for the best.

I was just going to make this same thread after getting up and seeing the news. I hope everyone is ok!
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Should we blame this on the DAM Inspectors or the DAMN Inspectors? I get the part where they have had torrential rains over the last couple months but where the hell were the people who are supposed to be keeping their eyes on this?

We had one of our hydroelectric dams spring a small leak about 10 years ago. They drained the reservoir down to a small stream so they could repair the leak and shore up the rest. The people who owned lake front property went ballistic for 2 years with their precious lake gone but stuff happens and they had to do what had to be done. The lake is back and better than ever now. Public safety takes a back seat to the home owners who lost their lake fronts for a few years and those around here had absolutely no sympathy for their rantings. Sure it sucked and it also had a devastating effect on the fishery in this deep water reservoir but all these dams, we have 5 along this river, were built some 70 years ago and they all require some maintenance and repairs at this point. This one out in California just seems to me a matter of closing the barn door after the horses escaped. Who dropped the ball?

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Me and the Mrs rode right through there last October 1st...

Here's the Feather River

We spent the night in Marysville.

Its a really pretty, historic area. I'm saying a prayer for all the people who live there.....

Link to the day's ride: http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...#post-31123219
    Last edited by Rhodetrip; 02-13-2017 at 06:44 AM.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

The way this problem has been handled since the main spillway started to fail has had me hot from to get go. The failure to act immediately is very irresponsible.

my cousin lives near sutter buttes and left her home last night for high ground near sacramento... a different take on "snow days" for the kids i guess.

the emergency spillway had never been used in it's 50+ yr history.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Should we blame this on the DAM Inspectors or the DAMN Inspectors? I get the part where they have had torrential rains over the last couple months but where the hell were the people who are supposed to be keeping their eyes on this?
    There was (hopefully "was") a water management problem in California. The "California Water Czar", an Obama appointee that lived in Virginia, didn't know what he was doing. I would bet anything he ordered no water to be released last Oct, Nov, Dec, and Jan or until the reservoir was full and of course then it is to late given the heavy rain fall we have had lately. The old water manager was quoted in the San Jose Mercury stating the water shortages of the last few years were do to mismanagement.

No doubt there will be studies done to see what went wrong and why this happened. Stay tuned. This could be interesting.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    my cousin lives near sutter buttes and left her home last night for high ground near sacramento... a different take on "snow days" for the kids i guess.

the emergency spillway had never been used in it's 50+ yr history.
    YUP! It just seems the emergency spillway that has never been used in it's 50 year existence now becomes the emergency when it is needed most. Someone out there has their head stuffed firmly where the sun does not shine and this seems rather typical for these high dollar government officials. You can be absolutely sure there is a crew being paid big bucks to do inspections and they apparently are not doing their jobs or the findings they report go unheeded. Now it is catastrophic. Go Figure.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Up until an hour before the evacuation order, they kept saying that there was no danger. I called B.S. right away. Moving water is the most destructive force there is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links