2017 storm closures
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: 2017 storm closures

2017 storm closures

Like elsewhere here in the west heavy storms have damaged many primative roads that don't get the publicity of an overtopping Oroville Dam.
    After similar flooding in the 80's many small bridges, culverts and roads were cut and never repaired or replaced. Might be good to check with locals, 4x4 clubs, Cycle shops,Forest Service, etc for current conditions this season.

For Example quite a bit of Death Valley backcountry road network was closed as of last week. 1075348_487391051351554_69219813_o-thumb-600x447-56626.jpg

• Badwater Road between Badwater Basin and the south entrance.
    • Big Pine/Death Valley Road.
    • Cottonwood Canyon Road.
    • Emigrant Canyon Road.
    • Harry Wade Road.
    • Mosaic Canyon Road (Washed out; 4x4 High Clearance Recommended)
    • Mustard Canyon Road
    • Panamint Valley Road
    • Saline Valley (North) Impassable. Severely washed out.
    • Saline Valley (South) Signed "Closed" by Inyo County; damaged due to washouts; very rough. (Saline Valley South is often braved by people with high clearance vehicles despite the county "closed" sign: this week, you may want to rethink that tradition.)
    • Wildrose Road
    • West Side Road

Whitney Portal Road is closed above my favorite Alabama Hills due to massive rockfall. Won't be TWing this for a while. Rockfall shaved off a good chunk of the road bed and left this granitic deposit on what was left. Intact road is visible in the background.PortalRoadSlide2-2.jpgfseprd531992.jpgfseprd531988.jpgPortalRoadSlide1.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 02-14-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    Tweaker, SanDue, Ken and 4 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Barb and I were in Yosemite this past weekend and, as you have personally experienced at your place Fred, Mother nature has not been kind to the park this winter. While the waterfalls were impressive and the Merced was boiling, there was also significant damage that will take a lot of money and effort to repair. There have also been a lot of mudslides on 120 and 140 into the park.

So this picture must show Barbara ahead of you on Half Dome, can't quite see the stitches on the new knee though. cables-down-4.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sorry Fred, this is as close as we got to Half Dome on this visit.

IMG_2211.jpg

p.s. Already been there, and done that with my sons.

Half Dome Cables.jpg

Dad at the top of Half Dome.jpg

Matthew and Christopher at the top of Half Dome.JPG
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 02-14-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Speaking of closures, Clearlake is now closed to all motorized boats. The lake is at flood stage and the waves caused by boats are destructive to shore line property. We have been very fortunate the water has been calm while at this high level. The closeure would normally not be a big deal to me, however I recently bought my first bass boat and am nearing completion of a little refurbishing. Was looking forward to getting on one of the best bass lakes anywhere. O well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Like elsewhere here in the west heavy storms have damaged many primative roads that don't get the publicity of an overtopping Oroville Dam.
    After similar flooding in the 80's many small bridges, culverts and roads were cut and never repaired or replaced. Might be good to check with locals, 4x4 clubs, Cycle shops,Forest Service, etc for current conditions this season.

Whitney Portal Road is closed above my favorite Alabama Hills due to massive rockfall. Won't be TWing this for a while. Rockfall shaved off a good chunk of the road bed and left this granitic deposit on what was left. Intact road is visible in the background.
    Wow, that is some Wiley E. Coyote-Roadrunner rock fall stuff right there! Will they, whoever they is, repair this road or will they leave it like this?
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Sorry Fred, this is as close as we got to Half Dome on this visit.

p.s. Already been there, and done that with my sons.

Half Dome Cables.jpg

Dad at the top of Half Dome.jpg
    Wow to these photos as well. One would want to be ahead of me if climbing that ladder because there is a good chance my depends would be overflowing! Same goes for the, again, Wiley E. Coyote-Roadrunner outcropping your standing on. Matter of fact, I'm getting lightheaded just looking at the photos!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

DOT claims they plan to re-open Whitney Portal Road by May 1st which seems optimistic considering the extent of the rock slide I saw from some drone footage.

Meanwhile closer to home but not a long term issue is the ongoing periodic closures of Interstate 80 over the Sierras. Third time in last week causing more "Death by GPS" folks trying to follow "Alternate Route" Google info up the old Donner Parties muddy, snowy route to Truckee. The NDOT has all the warning flashing signboards up again but people still drive around the signs thinking the signs must be wrong and why doesn't the highway department check with Google for latest accurate alternate roads?..after all their precious cell phones and internet can't be wrong.
    Got stuck for hour and a half just coming back from the post office as many thousands of cars bailed off the interstate and proceeded to bumper-to-bumper jam pack every square yard of available pavement until there was no movement possible.
    admiral, Rider21 and ejfranz like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Anyone try to go to Death Valley last week? Views are a little hard to appreciate from the bottom of downcut road beds.la-trb-death-valley-scottys-castle-20160412-003.jpgweb1_DV-road_2.jpg
    ejfranz likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Admiral....you painted quite a picture!....overflowing depends!! !
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links