Dental fraud
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Dental fraud

Dental fraud

This is pretty long winded and I know my punctuation and grammar leave a lot to be desired, but this is worth talking about.

There was a promotional offer for teeth cleaning locally here. After the exam the dentist said I needed 1500.00 of work, which included a crown replacement (said there was a cavity under it), two cavity's and replace 2 fillings. . So I went for a second opinion locally, and though the dentist didn't disagree with the first dentist, I really got the impression she was only agreeing because (like lawyers, policemen, etc) she didn't want to officially take a stand that was contradicting the other dentist. So at that point I had 2 dentist telling me I should have 1500.00 of work done.

I had read that in the Yuma, AZ. area hundreds of U.S. and Canadian residents cross the border into Mexico on a daily basis to get good quality dental care at a fraction of the cost, so I figured the cost savings would justify a trip down there (I expected to save around $1000.00). The town most people go in the Yuma area is "los Algodones", however, I read about a good dentist in a less touristy town close by (San Luis Rio Colorado. See link below) and went there instead. I showed Dr. Sergio Bernal the paperwork from my dentist in Oregon and after examining my teeth he said (in decent English, which is better then my Spanish) "I need the money, but I see nothing wrong with your teeth other then gums receding from brushing too hard over the years". When I asked what I owed him for the exam, he said "nothing. I didn't do anything". I gave him 20.00 anyway and headed back to a motel in Yuma for the night. So I'm thinking that as long as I drove all this way it would make sense to go into Los Algodones, say I'm just there for a checkup, and see what they would tell me (without mentioning anything about the other dentists). I walked into one of the many dentist offices there and this dentist mentioned the same gum recession from brushing too hard over the years, but then said "you have 11 cavity's".
    I said: "do a teeth cleaning and I'll be on my way".

OK, so now go back in history about 30 years. I went in for a promotional offer for cheap teeth cleaning (in Grants Pass, Or). After the cleaning a dentist looked at my teeth and told me I had 3 cavity's. I was surprised and asked a few questions. He was vague and avoided eye contact. So I left his office and went to my regular dentist and told him about the 3 cavities the "promotional" dentist mentioned. My regular dentist said: "You don't have any cavities".

So there you have it. You can draw your own conclusions about all this but this is what I think:

As mentioned earlier, hundreds of satisfied U.S. citizens have dental work done everyday in Los Algodones, So I don't think the fraud from the dentist that said I have 11 cavity's is indicative of most of the dentists at the border, just as the fraud by the U.S. based dentists is not indicative of all of them here, but (unless you have a trusted dentist you've gone to for a long time) do not assume that he/she is above doing unnecessary work on you to generate more income. I suspect that it's more common then people think. At this point I don't know for a fact that there is no cavity under that crown. I guess I'll go to another dentist here, ask for an exam and not mention any of this to see what he finds. The adventure continues...

The link below is from an old blog. It refers to the dentist in San Luis (that said I didn't need any work):

A Visit To My Dentist In Mexico? - Ramblin' Man: Full-time RV Life

If you google "los algodones" and "dentists", you find a lot of information.
    Purple, mhomadness, Ken and 3 others like this.
    2013 TW200---2007 XT225---2014 CB500X
    "Everyday is a school day"

Tooth fairies can be crooked too.
    jbfla, JerseyJeeper, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Phelonius

Promotional offers from dentists are for just drawing business in obviously. Get you in the door with a free cleaning and lower the boom on you to get thousands of dollars in other work done. Good dentists don't need to advertise.....

Just like the plumbers who will snake "any clog for $49.95" and then tell you your sewage pipes need dug up or the "free furnace cleaning" that results in a new $8000 furnace.
    Smitty Blackstone, Peterb and Ken like this.
    2008 TW200
    2008 YZ250
    2013 Honda CB1100
    2015 Toyota Tacoma
    2016 Mazda CX-3
    2006 Hyundai Sonata

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Did someone say "dentist?"
    Last edited by Skooter; 02-19-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    Smitty Blackstone and Ken like this.

Ken
    Snakes are everywhere, buyer beware. Thanks for the warning. New scams are always appearing.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Tim Watley would call us anti-dentite bast*rds.....
    Ken and Skooter like this.
    2008 TW200
    2008 YZ250
    2013 Honda CB1100
    2015 Toyota Tacoma
    2016 Mazda CX-3
    2006 Hyundai Sonata

Its like when the elevator breaks down at work, Its always something very technical and it can break tomorrow and another thing very technical,
    Racket I think,
    Good call on dentist ! !
    Mine always will show you X-rays for any work that may be needed,

Quote Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
    Tim Watley would call us anti-dentite bast*rds.....
    Rabid anti-dentite!!
    Boatsnbullets likes this.

I went to Los Algodonis, MX for for multiple tooth pain, had a filling on a tooth and a crown on the tooth behind that then went back for the rear most tooth because of pain when I bite on it, he x rayed it and started doing a root canal but had to quit because the tooth was cracked through the root and had to pull it and did a bone graft. He showed my wife and me the x rays and my wife could see the cracked root. He was very honest and professional . I am 64 years old and he is the best dentist that I have ever been to. The place is called Dental Gomez .
    Tweaker and Peterb like this.

Below is a link I bookmarked awhile ago from an RV site I follow, Cheap RV Living. In it, the author details his experience in going to a dentist in Mexico.

Cheap RV Living.com -Annual Quick Trip to Algodones, Mexico

Dentists aside, this site also has a lot of good information on travel, outfitting an RV and camper, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links