How would a foreigner ride a bike through the states, without hiring one?
Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How would a foreigner ride a bike through the states, without hiring one?

G'day.

In a few years, me and my partner want to have a month or two riding through the states .

We were hoping we could buy a bike in the states, then ride it around for a few months. Renting is very dear, as is bringing our own bike.

As far as I know, I won't be able to 'own' a bike as I'm not a resident. So, I was thinking if I could 'borrow' one off a friend for the duration of the trip.

'Borrow' may mean get a friend to purchase a bike and register it in their name with our money.

Can you guys see any problems in my perceived plan?

Thanks in advance.

Rob & Kath.

Only problem would be someone wanting to take a risk in having it in their name for insurance reasons, or if you decided to go down a tollway without paying and racking up tickets and fines. The world is a different place now where one cannot be trusted with just a hand shake and their word.

Rob, I'm not sure where you got the idea you couldn't own something if you are not a resident. I've known Brits, and other international visitors that owned vehicles in the US even tho they were here on 6 month visas. Yes it becomes a bit of a quagmire in purchase of insurance when you have to show you have a US address, or someone insists you have a US license rather than a foreign license with international supplement, but it can be done. As I recall my British friends had a problem getting insurance for longer than the term of their visa (this might not be a problem if its a buy it, ride it, and sell it in a single trip (as opposed to them who wanted to leave the rig at a son's house and come back 6 months later. You should be able to work it out, but I'm sure others with experience can add info. Let me know if you want contact points for others with experiences, or insurance agencies, etc. 911 has messed up the regs for many otherwise simple tasks, but occasionally common sense prevails but only in the face of persistence. tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A Brit I met at Daytona Bike Week 2001 made arrangements on our V-Max club forum to buy a used one from a member. He rode around in the United States, stayed with other members and even went on a group ride with our Houston Chapter in the Texas Hill Country. Then sold it back to the original owner. He had a great trip. Cheers.
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

Maybe pick up a copy of this book

http://www.google.co...ved=0CGAQ8wIwAA

Motorcyclist's Legal Handbook (USA)

By Pat Hahn - MBI Publishing Company (2012) - Paperback - 240 pages - ISBN 0760340234 Motorcyclists face legal challenges that non-motorcyclists don’t even consider. Unfortunately, many motorcyclists are ignorant of those challenges as well—until they find themselves in legal trouble. In addition to all the physical hazards of the road, motorcyclists must negotiate a seemingly endless array of legal hazards, from the myriad licensing requirements and restrictions that vary from state to state to the issue of anti-motorcycle bias among law enforcement officials. While motorcycle magazines frequently publish articles addressing various aspects of the legal issues with which a rider must contend, there has never been a one-stop source that contains all of this information until now. Motorcyclist’s Legal Handbook collects all the information a rider needs to know in one comprehensive volume.
    Fred likes this.

Thanks, gents.

Tom, if that's the case, that makes it easy. I only plan on riding around for a few months and then I intend to re-sell it and accept my losses. I'm still confident the losses will be far less than hiring.

Regarding insurance, what types do you have?

We have injury to people (mandatory); damage to other people's vehicles and your own is optional.

Thanks, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by turborob View Post
    Thanks, gents.

Tom, if that's the case, that makes it easy. I only plan on riding around for a few months and then I intend to re-sell it and accept my losses. I'm still confident the losses will be far less than hiring.

Regarding insurance, what types do you have?

We have injury to people (mandatory); damage to other people's vehicles and your own is optional.

Thanks, Rob.

Depends on what state you are in. Washington does not require any kind of motorcycle insurance.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

20,000,000 illegal aliens have no problem owning vehicles in the U. S. of A. You do not have to be a citizen or resident. Contact some of your fellow countrypersons already in the U. S. of A. for details on how to ride legally, or ride illegally. Worse they'll do to you for riding illegal is write you a citation.

Indiana likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    20,000,000 illegal aliens have no problem owning vehicles in the U. S. of A. You do not have to be a citizen or resident. Contact some of your fellow countrypersons already in the U. S. of A. for details on how to ride legally, or ride illegally. Worse they'll do to you for riding illegal is write you a citation.

Outstanding. 2014, it's on!

Thanks to everyone who responded.

3 hots and a cot if you guys make it to Cali.

We've really enjoyed your posts over time.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links