wr250x
Close

Thread: wr250x

just wondering if anyone has any experience with the yamaha wr250x? im thinking of trading in the tdub in the spring for a faster more tech advanced bike.

Yeah man , I do. I went to ride in Mendicino county ( north of San Francisco) Great place called middle creek. My buddy invited some friends and one of them was on a WR250x. His was the supermoto version with dirt wheels on it. According to this guy he bought it with all the possible mods for power already on it. A fuel injected bike with just air and exhaust. As far as I know there was no EFI map changing software added. SO anyways, dood couldnt ride for beans so I wound up riding his bike up the more difficult stuff and he hiked. I ride a WR250f aswell as my TW so I have a fair comparison.

-the 250x had pretty good smooth power with the fuel injection and mods. However, it was not nearly as powerfull as my WR250f (JD jetkit and exhaust)

-the suspension had less travel but felt alright. I am only 160 lbs.

-the seat hieght was as high as my 250f, for me at 5'8" that is tippy toes on the ground while seated.

Personally I would choose a different dual sport if I wanted a street legal and more power. I dont know what or where you like to ride but I have ridden a couple Kawasaki KLX250s' and they have an inverted front fork with 11" of travel front and rear like the full on dirt bikes. I really enjoyed those as the seat hieght was reasonable and more power than the TW by a long shot. Just a suggestion.

After learning to ride on the WR then switching back and forth from TW to WR and back (depending on who I go with) I have realized that you really dont need big power to be efficient. So long as there is traction that little TW will go anywhere my WR will!! Although there is something quite nice about, turn throttle, front tire goes up! Weeeee!

Hope that helps bra.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamamont View Post
    Yeah man , I do. I went to ride in Mendicino county ( north of San Francisco) Great place called middle creek. My buddy invited some friends and one of them was on a WR250x. His was the supermoto version with dirt wheels on it. According to this guy he bought it with all the possible mods for power already on it. A fuel injected bike with just air and exhaust. As far as I know there was no EFI map changing software added. SO anyways, dood couldnt ride for beans so I wound up riding his bike up the more difficult stuff and he hiked. I ride a WR250f aswell as my TW so I have a fair comparison.

-the 250x had pretty good smooth power with the fuel injection and mods. However, it was not nearly as powerfull as my WR250f (JD jetkit and exhaust)

-the suspension had less travel but felt alright. I am only 160 lbs.

-the seat hieght was as high as my 250f, for me at 5'8" that is tippy toes on the ground while seated.

Personally I would choose a different dual sport if I wanted a street legal and more power. I dont know what or where you like to ride but I have ridden a couple Kawasaki KLX250s' and they have an inverted front fork with 11" of travel front and rear like the full on dirt bikes. I really enjoyed those as the seat hieght was reasonable and more power than the TW by a long shot. Just a suggestion.

After learning to ride on the WR then switching back and forth from TW to WR and back (depending on who I go with) I have realized that you really dont need big power to be efficient. So long as there is traction that little TW will go anywhere my WR will!! Although there is something quite nice about, turn throttle, front tire goes up! Weeeee!

Hope that helps bra.

thanks for the post, deph helped out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've ridden my friend's WR250R (same drive train as 250X except slightly different gearing) a few times, on and off road. I've also ridden my other friend's KLX 250S off road (really fun bike, I liked very much how it behaved off road). If you're used to the TW, the WR, even bone stock, makes A LOT more power than the TW. You can pull nice easy power wheelies on the street. It will get up and do an indicated 105 mph in sixth gear. Cruising at 70 mph is really pretty easy on it. Off road second gear has plenty of torque for big hill climbs. However, I second the KLX250S. I would prefer that as well, for street and off road. I just like it more. IMO it looks better. It has a lower seat height (easier to use in technical off road stuff), and a smoother power delivery (the WR has a tendancy to be a little jerky, on-off throttle action). Even with dirt bike gearing, the KLX can still cruise comfortably at 65-70 mph and have great torque for hill climbs and crawling off road. Plus IMO the suspension on the KLX is definitely more trail-bike oriented than that on the WR. So in summary, the WR is a little faster on the street, but the KLX is a better dirt bike and essentially just as "good" on the street.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Sponosred Links