HD Helmet Cam Footage onboard my Home Brew RC Airplane. Filmed at the Alvord Desert Dry Lake Bed
Close

Just returned from a 5 day camping trip at the Alvord Dry Lake Bed (Ride report coming soon). It was a Blast as Always. This time I took a few RC airplanes along to play with and decided to strap the GoPro HD Helmet Cam onto the Twin. Here's a short video of a flight around camp. Click on 720P to see the best picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkmJjKEIZLY

Hodakaguy

Dinggggggggggg... crunch!

That landing was AWESOME!!!
    heheheeee!
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Very cool video.

The helmet cam worked great..

Nice fast landing too....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Uh? So, tell me why we pay millions of dollars to defense contractors to develop unmanned drones! And yours is so much cheaper! And I bet you have a lot more fun.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Way cool!! You might want to think about a camera placement that would not have the plane itself showing in the frame. The video quality itself is good enough that you could make some -serious- money flying over commercial sites, farms, major events, beautiful scenic areas, all kinds of things, and then selling the footage. Getting aerial footage the traditional way (from a full-sized helicopter or fixed-wing aircraft) is v-e-r-y expensive and your footage looks amazingly good. You're onto something here dude! Go for it!!

----

(Maybe you could also drop me a message outlining how you built this little airplane. I'm guessing the motors are battery powered? Did you have some sort of remote control on the thing or is it just free-flying? Look "controlled" from the video, but I'm not figuring out just how.)

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    Way cool!! You might want to think about a camera placement that would not have the plane itself showing in the frame. The video quality itself is good enough that you could make some -serious- money flying over commercial sites, farms, major events, beautiful scenic areas, all kinds of things, and then selling the footage. Getting aerial footage the traditional way (from a full-sized helicopter or fixed-wing aircraft) is v-e-r-y expensive and your footage looks amazingly good. You're onto something here dude! Go for it!!

----

(Maybe you could also drop me a message outlining how you built this little airplane. I'm guessing the motors are battery powered? Did you have some sort of remote control on the thing or is it just free-flying? Look "controlled" from the video, but I'm not figuring out just how.)

Yeah there is money to be made in that market, although a RC helicopter is better suited to that duty than a plane would be. There are some very nice RC heli camera ships out there...$$$$$.

Here's a link to a few pics of the build. The plane is electric and powered by two brushless electric motors, two 45amp Electronic Speed Controls and a 2100hah lithium poly battery. The setup is controlled with a 2.4ghz Spread Spectrum radio control unit. The prices on Electric RC parts have really came down in the past couple years and it's now very affordable to set up something like this.

Here's the link to the build: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy

very cool
    not a TW owner but i play one on this forum.

Sponosred Links